cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back up using Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider Option.

AndresV
Level 6
Partner    VIP   

Hi guys,

I´ve been doing some research and I cant find the difference of using this option checked or not.

Backup Exec -> Backup Exec Policy -> Virtual Machines -> "Back up using Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider Option"

If checked, sometimes I got an warning consolidated disks in vcenter but this happen with some vms not all of them.

If not checked, I dont received an warning but this option is not by default so I´m a little bit confused.

Could anyone tell me the differences between both ways and if I´m ging to have problems to restore items or vm.

3 REPLIES 3

Ben-Veritas
Level 4
Employee

This has to do with the type of snapshot Backup Exec requests of the VM from vCenter / ESXi

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/59226269-132544165-0/v53949811-132544165

Select this option to enable Backup Exec to create a quiesced snapshot for the virtual machine. If the quiesced snapshot cannot be created, then Backup Exec creates a crash-consistent snapshot instead.

Note:

Backup Exec automatically selects this option if you select any of the options for enabling GRT for Microsoft applications.

AndresV
Level 6
Partner    VIP   

Hi Ben

I already read the article but I dont get what is the process when this option is unchecked. Who does the process? and How is done the backup process?

When the option is unchecked, a crash consistent snapshot is taken instead of an quiesced snapshot.

This process is handled by VMware (VDDK / VDAP).  Backup Exec sends a request to the VMware environment (vCenter / ESXi hosts) for a snaphot to be taken.  The vCenter or ESXi host initiates the snapshot. If Quiescing is enabled, then VMware tools inside the VM is engaged to snapshot any VSS aware applications to let them know a backup is taking place. (Exchange / SQL / Sharepoint for example).  When the option is unchecked, VMware tools inside the VM are not engaged for the snapshot process and nothing inside the VM is aware of the snapshot or backup.