cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackExec 2015 Install Nightmare

Joju_Sebastian
Level 3

Veritas support miserably failed to help me in getting BE15 installed on a Windows 2012 server. They have been 'diligently' working on it for the past four months. I need community's help in resolving this issue. Every time I try to run the BE15 install, all pre-install checks goes through fine but when attempting to install the BE itself, I get an 'Unsupported file format' error. Anyone has seen this error in the past? If so, is the issue resolved? NEED YOUR HELP!!!! Thanks. - Joju

15 REPLIES 15

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

OK, have you tried to install a previous version like BE 2014?

What is the disk structure of the server like? NTFS/FAT32?

Are you trying to install to local disk on the server?

Thanks!

Joju_Sebastian
Level 3

Thanks CraigV.

BE14 is already installed.   Disk is NTFS - an internal disk to the server.   I am attaching the error message and event log.   this is a physical machine.    It runs Windows 2012 R2 Standard.   I re-downloaded the zip file again from Veritas download site and attempted it again but with the same error.

Joju_Sebastian
Level 3

A minor update.   The error happened during the Environment Check after you accept the license agreement.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should post the BE installation log as an attachment.  I think the file is bkupinst.  I can't remember the file extension.

Joju_Sebastian
Level 3

Here are the htm and log file.

Log file contents are as follows.  iTS A SMALL FILE.

***Failed to write a message to the log server
 RawsDlgSequence::CheckInstMode

Thanks so much.

Joju_Sebastian
Level 3

i had to rename the HTM file to TXT.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is the error

+ 01-16-2016,20:50:47 : The install failed with an unexpected error:The given path's format is not supported.
+ 01-16-2016,20:50:47 : at System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.CanonicalizePath(String path, Boolean needFullPath) at System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.CreateListFromExpressions(String[] str, Boolean needFullPath) at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionAccess access, AccessControlActions control, String[] pathListOrig, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList) at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission..ctor(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String[] pathList, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath) at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path, DirectorySecurity directorySecurity) at Symantec.BackupExec.BeSeqDlgs.DlgValidationSummary.CreateSummary() at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
+ 01-16-2016,20:50:47 : If this install is being run from a network share, copying the media locally and retrying the install may resolve this issue.
+ 01-16-2016,20:50:47 : ERROR: Installation failed with error -532459699. GetLastError = :0

Are you running the installation from a network share?  If so, copy the the installation DVD to a local disk and install it from there.  

Also, if you are running a RDP session for the install, logon to the media server and run the the install.  Do not use a RDP session.

CraigV

Either burn the ISO to a DVD or mount it locally on the designated media server using an ISO imaging software.

Joju_Sebastian
Level 3

I already tried copying extracted files to the disk and run it from local drive with no better results.   I am using logmein to connect to the server, is that considered to be RDP?   I can certainly try this tomorrow.   I have not tried writing to a DVD either which also, I can try tomorrow.   Thanks for your suggestions.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Definitely. Login locally and do the install. Also burn the installation image on a DVD and use that

Joju_Sebastian
Level 3

As suggested, I created a DVD, logged in on the server and ran the install from the DVD itself.    Result is the same unfortunately.   Anything else we should look in to?  Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Post the latest installation log as an attachment.

When you said you logged in to the server, are you logged in locally or are you using a remote session?

Are you taking all the defaults or are you doing something non-default?

CraigV

OK...have you perhaps tried to install to a different drive on the server?

Joju_Sebastian
Level 3

pkh, I was logged in locally and not using remote session.   I did not get a chance to accept defaults, the installation fails soon after you accept the licensing agreement page at the environment check. 

craigV, as mentioned earlier, I am not even getting to the page to accept or change the default path/values.

CraigV

Are there any hardware errors?

Thanks!