cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackUp Exec with NetApp E-series Storage Array

vsuryana
Level 3

Hi, I have a Windows 2k8 R2 server on which BackUp Exec is installed and the server is connected to a NetApp E-series 2600 storage array through SAS. BUE is not recognizing the storage array and I would like to perform a backup of some volumes on the storage array to other volumes on the array. I got a warning message that tells "BUE did not detect an installed H/W provider that is required for this option. Install the vendor supplied virtual disk service H/W provider to each of the storage arrays that you want to use with the BUE". I wanted to know if my storage is supported by BUE and if so, what are the workarounds to get around this issue.

Thanks,

Vidya Suryanarayana

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Vidya,

Check the BE 2012 HCL on the link below. If the array is listed, it is supported.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175582

Thanks!

EDIT: How are the volumes presented that you want to back up? Have you presented a volume to the media server to in order to create a B2D folder on it? Can this be seen in Windows and is the disk to be backed up too formatted?

vsuryana
Level 3

Hi CraigV, thank you. I could not find my storage array on the HCL. But then, I came to know that I can convert the raw LUN to a file and then use BUE. I did that and BUE could see the LUN. My other question is, is there a way I can specify what drive I need to backup and what drive is my target for the backup?

Thanks,

Vidya Suryanarayana

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...this is done by creating a B2D on the array. Then create a backup job that backs up to that B2D as a target.

Thanks!