cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackUp Fail with error: 0xe00002fe

NikiSa
Level 4

Hello All,

I have use BE12.5 on window Server 2003. Since the hardware error, i' ve changed the Tape Library, after the replacement, when i backup exchange db (Exchange 2007 + Window Server 2008), will occur below error:

Final error: 0xe00002fe - Cannot log on to MAPI with the specified credentials. Review the resource credentials for the job, and then run the job again.
Final error category: Resource Errors

* When I backup the other information to Tape, it's OK!

* When I backup exchange db to local disk, it's OK! 

* have not perform any upgrade after Tape replacement. 

I have read this document :http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64095 but it seems do not work for me, any idea??

In Reson3, may i ask how can i check whether ese.dll matches on backup server & exchange ?? 

Many Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are able to backup Exchange to disk, but not to tape, then I would first recommend to check the "staging" area. Do ensure no AV is scanning this staging area during the backup and the BE account should have full control over this volume as well.

Create the following registry key on the Exchange server and then restart the BE serices.Rerun a backup and check.

Key : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Exchange
Value: OnHostTemp
Type: String
Set value to  C:\Temp (Or any other volume which has ample amount of free disk space to stage the entire Exchange IS

And to check if ese.dll matches on both server, edit the properties of this file and check the version. The version must be exactly the same. Location of ese.dll is usually under \Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin

NikiSa
Level 4

Hello VJ,

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked the version, it seems differeent between Exchange & Backup Server, may i need to update the older one?? and how can i do it??

And i follow ur suggestion, now i can backup to tape successfully,,, @@ and no any file in the temp folder, thanks u so much!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If backups & restores are successful, then no need to update the version.

Though, if you do want to keep the file on the same versions, ensure the same patches/service packs for the Exchange management console have been applied on both servers.