cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackUpExec 2014 Jobs fail

TeeStars
Level 3

Hi all

I have a new W2K12R2 server with BackupExec 2014 and a RDX-100 system. 

The problem plaguing me right now is that I cannot get BE to overwrite the disks at all. I have to manually erase the disks before the job starts otherwise the job craps out with 'Media xxxx is limited to read only operations in Backup Exec' I have changed, or rather emoved the 'Limit Backup Exec  to read only operations' option in the BackupExec Settings with no effect, still have the same problem.

I have used been using BE 2010R3 and have never had a problem like this, is this a new 'feature' in BE? Is there any way to turn this feature off?

***Update 

I have another W2K8R2 with BE 2014 and a RDX-100 system exhibiting the same behaviour.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tim

5 REPLIES 5

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,

Did you mean RDX 1000?  Verify the device is listed in the Backup Exec 2014 HCL  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH214803

Also there have been a couple of hotfixes released that might help in regard to RDX devices.  Run Live Updates to see if the Backup Exec Server is fully patched.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You are facing this known problem

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH223060

TeeStars
Level 3

Hmm, Still having a hell of a time, BE2K14 does not like these drives at all. Is there a simple way of formating the drive before the job starts? I know there is a option to run certain commands before a job starts. This seems like my only option right now.

Thanks 

Tim jardim

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,

uncheck these options from BE  > BE settings > Storage: 

a. Limit Backup Exec to read-only operations on a disk based storage device if it has been detached for X number of days 

b. Limit Backup Exec to read-only operations on a disk cartridge if it has been detached for X number of days 

and then Restart BE services. 

TeeStars
Level 3

Hi

Thanks I have tried these two, both have no effect. unless I erase the disk before hand all backups will fail with the following msg.

'Backup Exec is limited to read only operation on the inserted disk cartridge named "xxxx" Untill you change this setting Backup Exec cannot reclaim disk space'

Is there anyway to get at least a powershell command to erase the disk before the job starts?

I have two servers at different locations exhibiting the same behaviour.

Thanks in advance

Tim Jardim