cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackUpExec v12.5 SP3 Errors E00084EC & E00084ED

myoung100
Level 2
Hi,

Using BackUpExec 12.5 with SP3, OS is Windows server 2003 R2 SP2, installed on a Dell PowerEdge 1950 server and attached to a Dell PowerVault 114T back up tape drive with 400GB/800Gb LTO3 tapes.  Continually getting one of two errors E00084EC or E00084ED - essentially hardware error or dirty read/write heads in the tape drive.  We've purchased a new cleaning tape and run that a few times.  Have updated drivers to ensure latest.  Log data is listed below.

Back up always seems to fail between 316-325GB.  The complete job is about 370-375GB.

Using a 3rd party IT company to progress as no IT support in house but they've don't seem able to resolve.

Any ideas or pointers?

Adamm Mover Error: MoverDeviceIo::Write - m_wrapper.WriteData failed!

Error = ERROR_CRC

Drive = "IBM 1"{07EBF103-A044-4592-BC74-F08CCB3AF948}

Media = "Monday Week 2"{E638D71A-60DC-4379-BFBB-077C3290B6E8}

Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)

Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1)

OR

Adamm Mover Error: MoverDeviceIo::Write - m_wrapper.WriteData failed!

Error = ERROR_IO_DEVICE

Drive = "IBM 1"

{07EBF103-A044-4592-BC74-F08CCB3AF948}

Media = "Tuesday Week 1"

{733170E5-B7EA-46AE-8CEF-E32C9F0173AE}

Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)

Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1)

4 REPLIES 4

William_Branham
Level 3
Having the exact same problem, BE 12.5, Tandberg Library instead of IBM, but everything else the same.

I've been dealing with this for a while. The hardware vendor wasn't successful after extensive diagnostic. Intermittent problems are really difficult for theme. Seems like a lot of people running BE have this problem and there are a whole host of different solutions, some which work for one person, others for another person. I have even read where totally contradictory actions work for each person! I wouldn't be surprised if they just thought it was fixed and later showed that it wasn't really. A few people said they were going to dump Symantec because of it.

At the time of this writing, I had a successful job run last night and I have two jobs running right now with no problems (I have a two drive library). So, considering my last paragraph, you can take this with a grain of salt, but hopefully it will help.

Here is the last thing I discovered and changed: You mentioned the software and the tape backup hardware. What you didn't mention is your SCSI Host Adapter. In my case, I have a LSI Adapter, Ultra320 SCSI, but the issue might be the same. Basically, what happened, somewhere in the installation of the OS, possibly in the installation of BE, the drivers of the adapter changed to a 2002 MS driver. I went to the manufactuere's site and downloaded the most recent driver, bringing it up to June 2008. After rebooting and starting a job, that brings me up to the present, so my fingers are crossed. Bottom line: check the firmware and drivers of your SCSI adapter.

One more note and maybe you can even answer this for me: You have Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1). Symantec's literature says that they "recommend selecting this option if the device is a shared storage device." I'm having trouble finding their definition of a "shared storage device". Somewhere along in my reading I think I came across a statement that this refers to disks and not tape drives, so I am unclear at this point.

If this helps, feel free to take me out for a beer!

SystemsAdminAS
Level 5
We're running a 2950 PV (Win Server 2K3 R2), also with a 114T, and BE 12.5 - Not sure if I was getting the same error as you're seein, BUT I can concur that the latest Microsoft-based drivers for the LTO4 drive in the 114T helped cause intermittent backup failures and BE not 'seeing' the drive, whereas it was perfectly visible in Windows - going back to the original Quantum drivers fixed the issue - not through a driver rollback but an uninstall / reinstall of the 114T with the OEM drivers.

Good point about the SCSI card - we also have an Ultra 320, and there appear to have been no available updates from MS but I have not checked the manufacturer site yet - having newer tape drive driver and older SCSI driver may have caused a conflict...

Also have Windows / BE updates current - have not had this issue since Nov of last year - not sure if it might have been a BE issue that was since corrected with a hotfix to allow for the newer driver,but beware...

myoung100
Level 2
Thanks both - we too have an LSI Ultra 320 SCSI - there seems to be a common factor there!

Will try as you suggest and see if we can progress.  

Fingers crossed!

Juneau2010
Not applicable
I too have been have the same problem since last November using LTO3 tapes. I can successfully backup some data but not the most important users share. Symantec said it was a device error and Quantum said it was BE. I just ordered a new LTO4 device and hope it resolves all my problems.