cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background Processing issues with GRT

abooboo
Level 2

Hi

We have backups with enabled GRT.  We have Sharepoint 2013 backups and Exchange 2010 and 2003. 

We are currently experiencing intermittent jobs getting stuck with Background Processing and it could run for days and no budge.

example: 0 of 87 backup selections processed for Granular Recovery Technology (GRT)

The last time it ran succesfully is around 3.23GB in size, for 4 hours *(incremental job) Sharepoin 2013.

It's getting stuck and it stays in background processing for days and nothing is happening.  No Activity on backup storage and CPU ok. 

It's happening on both Sharepoint and Exchange backups.  It doesn't finish completely.  Only thing to do is cancel it.  And most of the times, it goes to Cancel Pending and get stuck for hours and days. 

Does anyone have an advice pls? What to check? 

Thank you

A

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PJ_Backup
Employee

Hi,

Might be worth checking out if this technote is applicable:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100030984 - Backup job completes, but remains running

although ideally I'd recommend opening a case for this as debugs would be useful to narrow down the cause if the TN doesn't do the trick.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

sinissto
Level 1
Partner Accredited

Same problem here...

Last two weeks I have this same issue.

Whatever I do I can not solve this issue on my own...

kf2013
   VIP   

Any heavy loading of sharepoint and exchange during the backup?

What is the version of the backup exec?

You may check the event log of the backup server, sharepoint and exchange.

karinjo
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

I have the same issue with backup Exchange DAG. 

Getting stuck on background processing, 0 of 4 backup selections processed for GRT. 

When I disable GRT, backup is succesfully completed.

Does anyone know, where is the problem and how to resolve that?

BipinV
Level 2

Same issue for here, Incremental backup runs for a long in current operation  'Background processing' . All VSS writes are stable and exchange DBs are healthy. Tried restarting the VSS services but no change.  No issues in DAG full backup. Pls. any solutions..

TM-Jim
Level 0

Having the same problem here but with only one server. Running Windows Server 2012 R2, BEWS v20 with all agents. Only recently started but have had successful backups as of just a couple of weeks ago. Nothing has changed.
Have restarted the remote agent and recreated the job but no luck.

Have not been able to reboot the target server as it's a production SQL server.

Kre
Level 2

One year later and the issue persists.

2-nodes Exchange 2013 running on Windows Server 2012R2. BE 20.6 is running on a Windows Server 2016.

If I run GRT backup on the active node, it ends succesfully.

If I run it on the passive database (the recommended option), it hangs indefinitely on the Background Processing, even though if I check the job logs, the backup seems to be ended succesfully.

Still no permanend fix or workaround? 

Of course, I could set it up to run on the active node, as we have one full back during night (when nobody is really sending e-mails) and hourly incrementals through-out the day, but I would still be more confortable to have it properly working on the pasive database.

Maybe will this be solved with the Backup Exec 21?

PJ_Backup
Employee

Hi,

Might be worth checking out if this technote is applicable:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100030984 - Backup job completes, but remains running

although ideally I'd recommend opening a case for this as debugs would be useful to narrow down the cause if the TN doesn't do the trick.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Kre 

If you have been battling with this for a YEAR, have you ever considered logging a call with Veritas Support? 

It seems that article did the trick.

After adding the registry key and rebooting the BE server, the first 2-3 incrementals took about 2 hours to complete (for some hundreds of MB worth of data), however the more recent ones, starting this morning, complete in up to 10 minutes, which is what I expected.

Thanks! 

Hi Marianne,

I didn't say I was battling with this for a year :)

But this post was here with people complaining about the same issue and without a documented solution for a year.

I've been only battling this for a couple of days, since we migrated the BE server to another machine and started encountering this issue... but seems to be solved now.

Best regards,

Adrian

PJ_Backup
Employee

Hi Adrian,

Glad to hear its working - good work getting it in and tested so quickly. Initially I was searching our knowledgebase for "backup completes but never completes" and getting nowhere..!  ;)

Anyway thanks for the update.

Pete