cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing Up Backup Exec Itself

randy915
Level 4

I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information while Googling in regards to backing up the BE server itself, so I wanted to get updated info for version 15.

Is it the correct way to simply to use run a Backup Exec job and protect the following folders?

CATALOGS
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs

DATA, DATABASE, and JOB LOGS
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data

LICENSES
C:\ProgramData\Symantec Shared\Licenses

Obviously this means BE services are running while it's backing up itself and should be done outside of the nightly database maintenance window.

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You can backup the Symantec installaion directory, or just the Data/Catalogs folders themselves. You should have access to the licenses in mail, paper format, or on the Partner site so they should be easy to come by.

The Data folder will contain bedb.bak which is a backup of the BEDB done at 4AM each and every morning. You can backup those folders at the same time as your other jobs, or during the day, depending on when you want to do it.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I usually recommend changing the BEDB maintenance from 04:00 to 5-10mins before you plan to back it up the bedb.bak/ (or data folder) , making sure you back it up with the catalogs folder and if possible that this takes place when no other backups run as this should result in being as consistent as you possibly can be. (obviously details of the backup of the BEDB itself will not be in the catalogs or media inventory as the job creates these as it runs)

Also for BE 15 make sure you have exported the DEK, which should be copied and protected outside of the backup job (as there are silent exclusions that can apply to the DEK as best the practice is not to keep it with a backup of the BEDB.) The DEK should only need exporting, and copying to somewhere safe, once per BE install

Note: If you use Backup Set encryption then records of the passphrases etc should also be maintained outside of the backup process.