cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing Up DeDuplication Store to USB Drive - no byte count

sqmmji
Level 3

I have begun transitioning our tapes for our offsite backup solution to external USB3 Hard Drives.  Backups of our backup to disk folders to external drive work nicely but I am having issues trying to backup the dedpulication store.

In my selections I choose - Shadow Copy Components\User Data\Backup Exec Deduplication Storage

This selection worked with tape as the media but the job would slow down and only complete approx 90%.  With my Remoaable Backup-to-Disk Folder as the backup media the job runs but and stays in the Running state with 0 byte count and no Job Rate.  Is there anything I need to do to configure the media?

I'm using Backup Exec 2010 R3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sqmmji
Level 3

My DeDupe is going to SAN based storage.  The external and tapes were used to back up the store.  It looks like I just needed to more patient as the job runs fine if left for just over 10 mins.  Was a little deceiving as it showed the state as running but no progress.  If I leave the job it eventually begins to accumulate a byte count and the job progresses.  I've not yet ran the job through until the end but will be testign that soon.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) You should be using normal B2D folders and not removable B2D folders.  Removable B2D folders should only be used for things like Jaz drives.

2) You should also check that your USB drive is supported for B2D folders.  See the HCL below

BE 2010|2010 R2|2010 R3 Hardware (HCL)

If it is not supported, test its functionality with the B2DTest utility

B2Dtest.exe

3) Have you tried backing up the entire shadow copy component, rather than just selecting the dedup folder?

sqmmji
Level 3

Thanks for your response.  I switched back to a normal B2D folder, passed all B2DTest tests but still no luck.  tried backing up the entire Shadow Copy Component, too.

Backing up data to the drive works well and I have no performance issues.  Just seems to be shadow copy component.

The drive I'm using is a 2TB Western Digital MyBook Essentials

sqmmji
Level 3

Hmmm I also get 0 byte count when backing up to a different B2D folder on a non-removable drive.  This B2D is also able to backup other data.  We use it for a VMWare backup nightly.  

I don't think my issue is related to my External USB job but rather backing up the Shadow Copy to B2D instead of tape...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Where is your dedup folder located?  Not all external disks are supported for dedup folders.  Check the HCL quoted above.  The B2DTest does not test for dedup capabilities.

sqmmji
Level 3

My DeDupe is going to SAN based storage.  The external and tapes were used to back up the store.  It looks like I just needed to more patient as the job runs fine if left for just over 10 mins.  Was a little deceiving as it showed the state as running but no progress.  If I leave the job it eventually begins to accumulate a byte count and the job progresses.  I've not yet ran the job through until the end but will be testign that soon.

Thanks for your help.