cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing Up NetApp Shares with BackExec

Pittyplatsch
Level 2

Hi,

I'am using a Windows 2003 Server with Backup Exec 12 to Backup shared Folders of a NetApp filer.

Everytime I want to backup a shared folder e.g. "homeshares$" I get the following error message.

"Final error: 0xe000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly.
Final error category: Security Errors"

On the NetApp filer I've created the account "netappbackup"

So my credentials are "filer/netappbackup" with the right password. This is my account for backing up the shares.

Please help me.

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Add the Backup Exec Service Account in NAS and give admin privildges to the account

Pittyplatsch
Level 2

Hi, thanks for your reply. Is this backup account a special one which comes with Backup Exec 12? Or do I have to create a new one. My account "netappbackup" has adminstrative preveliges.

AmolB

Backup Exec services are configured with the Backup Exec Services Account.

The account is a domain admin account

Pittyplatsch
Level 2

Under "Tools -> Backup Exec Services" I can change the "Services credentials". I filled in my domain Account. After that I've added my domain account to the administrators group on the NAS. But my domainaccount isn't the domain admin account. Do I have to use the admin account of the domain to have the right permissions?

Thanks for your help

Pittyplatsch
Level 2

I can't get it... when I want to backup a share of the netapp filer, backup exec asks for my credentials. logically it should be allright with the root account of the filer ?! when I type in my root credentials it says "A Network connection to the server could not be establishes". With another account (for example test -> administrators group on the filer) it say "acess denied"

When configurating a new backup I can browse to the shares with this credentials, so the login must be correct. (root account of the netapp)

Which account do I have to use? The Backup Exec Service Account? Which must be the admin of the domain?

AmolB

If you are able to browse the shares with root account then the backups should work with 

the same root account.