cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up 2010R3 Media Server - Fails

Steve_Kratz
Level 4
Partner

I've set up dozens of BE2010R3 solutions, and have one that's frustrating the heck out of me. Overall, it's the most reliable one I support as far as success rates of the backup jobs of other servers. What won't back up is the media server itself (physical server). The only other thing on this server is it hosts our vCenter console for VMWare.

A test runs OK. When the actual job runs, it starts snapshot processing, then you get a popup that the connection to the BE database (on the media server itself) and then a window shows that says services have stopped and you can stop all, restart, or start the services.  Needless to say, starting them back up just yields a failed job.  Event log simply shows the Backup Exec Remote Agent stopped unexpectedly.

Anyone have any troubleshooting tips?  Everything is up-to-date per LiveUpdate (and no, I haven't, and won't try 2012 on this one. 60+ server jobs being handled by this media server)

5 REPLIES 5

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Sounds frustrating and looks like some configuration issue. Could you post the details of the Application crash as in the event viewer message (Event ID 1000) for the beremote crash. Is the beremote service started with a Local System Account. If it is using a domain account for start up, could you change it to Local System Account.

Also, if you are not using DLO confirm that the SQL Service for Backup Exec is started in a Local System Account.

Steve_Kratz
Level 4
Partner

One of my co-workers suggested something really crazy, and so far it's progressed farther than before. Instead of selecting the "machine level" choices (top of the resource selection tree), I'm selecting them from the "favorites" list that seems to be adding the files as if it was pulling it across the network (selection list shows \\BackupServer\C, etc.)

I'll keep you posted if it goes through. 

Steve_Kratz
Level 4
Partner

Failed. It's killing the database somehow.

The "SQL Server (BKUPEXEC)" is started, as local system.

The Application Event Viewer log is getting slammed with

Event ID 57345 - Retry one more time

Current DbTimeoutValue=60

Database Exception Context:m_QueryTimeoutInSeconds=60 sql={? = CALL DBO.SAVEJOBVIEWREMOTE(?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)} Error:-536837662: :: -2147217871:Query timeout expired :: DB Error Set 0: native=0xffffffff source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server hr=0x80040e31 Query timeout expired

Database Exception Context:JobViewRemote Query Error:-536837662: :: -2147217871:Query timeout expired :: DB Error Set 0: native=0xffffffff source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server hr=0x80040e31 Query timeout expired

Database Exception Context:m_QueryTimeoutInSeconds=60 sql=SELECT [MachineID],[JobID],[JobName],[TaskTypeID],[TaskDefinitionID],[CurrentStatus],[JobRunFlags],[NextDueDate],[SubStatus],[ScriptID],[LinkedJobID],[ScheduleID],[Priority],[BEJobID],[PolicyID],[PolicyName],[BackupOptions],[BackupOptions2],[CommonJobFlags],[ShareBackupMethod],[MediaSetID],[TargetID],[SortedJobType],[TargetName],[MediaSetName],[ScriptName],[TaskDefinitionName],[DjmType],[LastChangeDate],[MediaServerName],[CPSStatus],[CPSJobID],[TimeStamp]  FROM  [DBO].[JobViewRemote] a1  WHERE [MachineID]=? Error:-536837662: :: -2147217871:Query timeout expired :: DB Error Set 0: native=0xffffffff source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server hr=0x80040e31 Query timeout expired

...And those keep "looping"

When it died, I had an Event ID 1002:

The program BkupExec.exe version 13.0.5204.113 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
 Process ID: 223c
 Start Time: 01ce44ebfd20491e
 Termination Time: 15
 Application Path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\BkupExec.exe
 Report Id: b186f10a-b0ed-11e2-8f52-78acc088d32e

...And a 1001:

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: AppHangXProcB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: BkupExec.exe
P2: 13.0.5204.113
P3: 4e4e5dfb
P4: 92e8
P5: 384
P6: beserver.exe:BEMAPI_LocalRPC
P7: 0.0.0.0
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\skadmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_BkupExec.exe_abc0266bb85a1ed91e46dd49491cbf242a8ed27_24496e10

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: b186f10a-b0ed-11e2-8f52-78acc088d32e
Report Status: 0

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try excluding the BEDB from the backup selections & rerun the media server backup.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you tried to repair the BEDB using BEutility.exe, and made sure that any AV running on that server isn't perhaps scanning the BE services?

Thanks!