cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Backup Exec Dedup Storage Folder

Demz
Level 4

I have BE 2012 installed and it's using disk storage (nas connected via iscsi) with dedup enabled (data stored in D:\BackupExecDeduplicationStorageFolder). I'm planning to completely uninstall this BE 2012 and free up that space used for backups. But there might be a change that I need to recover something from these old backups later.

Is possible to copy the contents of  D:\BackupExecDeduplicationStorageFolder to another disk (with robocopy) and use BE 2014 to restore data from there if needed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Never just backup the dedupe folder or copy the contents. You will definitely mess up the catalogs.

Rather put in a stage to duplicate data. If you duplicate to another B2D/tape then data will be rehydrated.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV

Hi,

Never just backup the dedupe folder or copy the contents. You will definitely mess up the catalogs.

Rather put in a stage to duplicate data. If you duplicate to another B2D/tape then data will be rehydrated.

Thanks!

Demz
Level 4

Thanks! Good that I asked before doing anything ;)

CraigV

...unless you're duplicating the dedupe folder, and for that matter, a B2D too, it's going to render your ability to restore completely.

Thanks!

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

FYI, If you duplicate it then you will need lots more storage then the dedupe was...since data is rehydrated it will be in pre dedupe state.

Demz
Level 4

OK, good to know! Will it dedupe it after duplication?

CraigV

...it depends. When duplicating to a tape or normal B2D, then the data is rehydrated.

if duplicated to another dedupe folder on, say, another server, then it is duplicated in deduped format. You'd need a second media server with CASO (Enterprise Server Option) and optimized dedupe configured.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Nopes, if running the Duplicate to a non-DeDupe device (such as tape or a regular disk), the data will be rehydrated (and not DeDuped again) and will be stored as it is on the device.

An alternative to the Duplicate method as suggested above is to back up the DeDupe folder directly from Backup Exec and the method is outlined in the 1st part of this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH187911

Demz
Level 4

Ok. I just want to backup this storage folder if for some reason I would need to be able to restore some data from it in near future. I will duplicate it to another external disk and it's ok if i loose dedup benefits.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Wait let me clear this up. If you duplicate a backup set from your dedup to any other storage it will NOT be in dedupe state. It will be back in normal format.