cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Duplicate to tape stuck

BElearner
Level 4

I am trying to duplicate some 200+ GB to tape, but the process is stuck at 123 GB. The process is still running but don't see any progress in the "Bytes" part.

Don't know if the tape is corrupt. Suggestions are welcome

08-08-2014.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If this has been stuck for a long time then it is probably bad.

You have tagged your OS as Win 7.  Do note that Win 7 is not supported for use as a media server.  You need to use a server class OS for the BE 2012 media server, meaning Server 2003 and up.  See the SCL below

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175581&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1328840673344

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If this has been stuck for a long time then it is probably bad.

You have tagged your OS as Win 7.  Do note that Win 7 is not supported for use as a media server.  You need to use a server class OS for the BE 2012 media server, meaning Server 2003 and up.  See the SCL below

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175581&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1328840673344

Artegic
Level 6

Backup Exec has a long history of tape jobs just hanging in mid-run. I have personally experienced this several times with Backup Exec 2012 SP4. Nobody knows why. Specifically, in my experience there's no relation between this problem and defective tapes.

If a tape is bad then you'll usually get some indication of that on the tape drive itself (flashing LED and or message on the display) as well as in Backup Exec (error alert, aborted job). If you got neither then I would just write it down to the as yet unidentified Backup Exec problem, restart Backup Exec services (you'll probably have to kill the Job Engine service via Task Manager - another typical symptom) and retry.