Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up EV databases on SQL with enterprise agent

RonnieArrowECSU
Level 3
Partner

Hi all,

We have Enterprise Vault 9 installed and use Backup Exec 2010r2 with the enterprise vault agent installed. 

I have been instructed by a symantec employee to make sure that no other backup program or local backup jobs run on the EV databases because otherwise my incremental backup jobs wont work.

My colleague dealing with backups told me that there are local backups on the SQL server because there are maintenance plans. There are maintenance plans because the logs keep growing otherwise until the disk is full.

Please can someone tell me what we need to do in order to correct this? It strike me as odd how i cant have incremental backups of EV databases because we need the maintenance plans to run because of log sizes. I thought the Backup Exec with EV plugin would be able to stop the log files to grow until no more disk space?

I read the below in a forum post:
To resolve this issue place the EV Database in Simple Recovery Mode instead of Full Recovery.  Once you have done this then run a shrink of the logs in SQL to get the logs back to a reasonable size.  At this point the logs should truncate when backups run.   
It is normal for the SQL transaction log files to remain the same size even after they have been truncated. The truncate function only increases the free space in the log file. 

So can people help me with what recovery mode should i put my EV databases in, and what do i have to do in order to not have to run maintenance plans with local backups of the EV databases?

Ronnie

4 REPLIES 4

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can run the Backup Exec EV agent incremental backup from Backup Exec and that will truncate the logs.

However this will not reduce the physical size of the file on the disk. To reduce the size of the log file on the disk you will have to shrink the database file from SQL

RonnieArrowECSU
Level 3
Partner

Shrink the database file from SQL. Is there any way to do this automatically so i dont have to manual do it and more importantly remember to do it.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  This is a SQL function and is not part of BE.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can schedule a job in SQL to shrink the database logs.

But lets say the logs grow 1Gb during the day, so the file on disk is 1Gb.
After the backup the file is pretty 'empty' but the file on disk is still 1Gb.
The next day the file is filled, untill it is 1Gb again and then it will grow.
Is there a need to shrink the logfiles on schedules times, as during normal circumstances the size will always remain apprioximately the same.