cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Enterprise Vault 10.0.3 and 10.0.4 with Backup Exec

bjorn_b
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Backing up Enterprise Vault 10.0.3 and 10.0.4 with Backup Exec is not supported with the Agent for applications and databases.
However – there isn't too much work to set up a good backup job for this manually
The problems comes up if the customer has any other applications or databases that is supported by the agent that (s)he wants to back up. 

The Agent for Applications and Databases is not connected with any computers, and only installed on the media server. So, let us imagine an environment with Active Directory, SQL, Exchange and Enterprise Vault and we have 3 licenses for applications and databases (because we want to do a manual backup (i.e. Without the use of an agent) of Enterprise Vault). 

This is not possible by design, because Backup Exec recognizes that the environment holds some license for applications and databases.
You cannot possibly choose to backup the EV Store folders and indexes (grayed out).

SO – if a Symantec Customer with Enterprise Vault 10.0.3/10.0.4 makes use of Backup Exec 2012 – How are they supposed to protect their Enterprise Vault Environment?

5 REPLIES 5

JesperBerth
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hi Bjorn.b You should be abel to disable the EV detection on the Remote agent, see this link http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/configuring-backup-exec-2010-r3-agentless-enterprise-vault-1002-backup I haven't tried it my self but i am going to one of the first days

bjorn_b
Level 6

Yes, I saw that on the EV forum yesterday as well. 

Could you inform me how it went? I also wonder if this has to be done on a regular basis (i.e. daily) or only when the remote agent is updated.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The dll needs to be renamed once on the following servers ~

• Backup Exec server (C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec)
  • Enterprise Vault server (C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS)
  • SQL server (C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS)

It's possible that when the remote agent is updated or reinstalled, then the dll needs to be renamed again, else not.

bjorn_b
Level 6

Why do we need to rename the file on the backup server? When it is renamed on the EV-server, it becomes selectable.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is to ensure consistency across the servers.

Here is a KB confirming the renaming (albeit the article does not directly apply here) - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH184506