cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Enterprise Vault 9.0.2 with Backup Exec 2012 v.14 1798

habibalby
Level 5

Hello Guys,

I'm looking for a resolution to backup Enterprise Vault 9.0.2 with Backup Exec 2012. The current configuration of the backup is set with Monthly, Weekly as Full and Daily Incremental. The option is selected to Reset Archive Bit, but Backup Exec doesn't reset the archive bit on the DVS. "Items waiting to be archived".

I was with the support engineer from Enterprise Vault did some trick to reset the archive bits on the DVS files and upon running manual archiving, the item state changed from Pending Archiving to an Archived Items.

He has suggsted that the Backup Exec need to be tweek in order to set the Enterprise Vault in Backup Mode and run the Backup, upon successful backup the Archive Bits should be reset and items has to be changed from Pending Archive Items to an Archived Items.

Is there any scripts / workarond I can make to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advanced for your usual help.

Regards,

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have a look @ this KB for setting the backup mode :-

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH172279

Verbatim from the above mentioned KB

To prevent data loss or a database deadlock during a backup operation, backup mode must be enabled. Symantec's Backup Exec, NetBackup and other third party applications enable this option in two ways.

• PowerShell cmdlet
  • Using the Vault Administrative Console (VAC)

PowerShell cmdlet: Transform-Backup.ps1

• Located in the Templates folder beneath the EV installation folder
  • Generates PowerShell backup mode commands
  • Designed to be used in the backup scripts to control backup mode
  • See HOWTO57492 for detailed configuration information

Manually using the VAC

• Manual process sets backup mode on vault stores and index locations in the EV VAC
  • When the backup is complete, use the administration console to clear backup mode
  • See HOWTO57152 for detailed configuration information

habibalby
Level 5

Hi VJware,

Thanks for your prompt reply, the Transform Backup script will create the powershell scripts, then do I have to point these scripts in Backup Exec job as Pre and Post scripts?

Thanks,

VJware
Level 6

Yep, these can be used as pre/post commands in BE.

habibalby
Level 5

Hi,

will PowerShell scripts works or do I have need to change it to something else.. I'm a bit confused on this.

VJware
Level 6

Have a look @ this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO57222

You could try invoking these scripts directly or use in a batch file as a pre/post command.

habibalby
Level 5

I have changed the scripts to .bat scripts and inside the bat scripts I do have Powershell.exe C:\Scripts\EVPre.ps1

The same for Post script also. I put the these two scripts into the job and it doesn't work... Nothing is happening in the EV Server as the Site been put into Backup Mode ot Index Mode...

hanks,

habibalby
Level 5

These are my PS scripts..

#Pre-job to set the Symantec Enterprise Server and Site into Backup Mode.
#Reset ArchiveBit on the Store Vaults.

#Site: EV Site

#Set backup mode on site

c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'EV Site' -EVServerName evserver -EVObjectType Site}"

#SiteIndexLocations: EV Site

#Set backup mode on indexes in site

c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-IndexLocationBackupMode -EVServerName evserver -EVSiteName 'EV Site'}"

======================================================================

#Post-job to Clear the Backup Mode on the Enterprise Site and EVServer.
#Create IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt

#Clear backup mode from site
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'EV Site' -EVServerName evserver -EVObjectType Site}"

#Clear backup mode from indexes in site
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-IndexLocationBackupMode -EVServerName evserver -EVSiteName 'EV Site'}"

========================================================================

I refrenced each script to a different .bat file and I put the .bat file into the Pre Command and Post command in the Backup Exec Job.

Any help..?

VJware
Level 6

Is the PS execution policy set to RemoteSigned ?

Does the batch file run successfully when invoked manually on the server ? (Assuming you login to the BE server using the BE account)

One alternative to using these scripts is to use thelicensed  Agent for Enterprise Vault as it does this automatically.