cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Exchange 2007 with Backup Exec 2010

BRH15
Level 4

i am looking for the steps that i would need to follow to backup our Exchange Server (as well as what should be backed up) so that we would be able to restore a single mailbox or single e-mail. What is the difference between the Microsoft Information Store and the mailbox located in program files\microsoft\exchange server?

i have just started looking into GRT and am trying to follow "Configuration requirements to backup or restore Exchange 2007 and to perform Exchange GRT (Granular Recovery Technology) backups or restores" so i am aware of these steps. Is there anything else i should consider when doing this?

9 REPLIES 9

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Few thing you can ensure before doing GRT backup of exchange 2007 

1 Ensure your backupexec is on version 2010 r2 with sp1 & all 3 hotfixes after that

2 Then ensure on your exchange server your remote agent is upto date you can update it by push install in backupexec

3 On backupserver ensure exchange management tool are installed of same level like if exchnage is 2007 sp2 then on backup server you have same version of exchange management tool installed please click on link below to download it

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=6be38633-7248-4532-929b-76e9c677e802&dis...4

On exchange server ensure you have installed MAPI Collabration data object 1.2.1

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e17e7f31-079a-43a9-bff2-0a110307611e&dis...5

Then with related to permission you can follow the document below & do GRT backup should work fine

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH51740

Thank You

BRH15
Level 4

1) So i have to be on Backup exec 2010 R2?  2010 wont work?

2) Remote Agents are up to date

3) will check to make sure exchange is installed and correct version.

i also have the MAPI collabration installed

still not quite sure what i should be backing up exactly.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

1 BE 2010 will work but it is always good having you sS/w upto date so upgrade to BE 2010 r2 & all updates

2 About what to backup you can backup the Information store under exchange server in selection list of backupexec

3 Also for disaster recovery purpose ,you can have backup of C, System state ,Shadow copy & Information store on exchange server 

Hope that help

Thank You

BRH15
Level 4

since i am on a time crunch i will have to put off upgrading to R2 for the moment. i am currently working on installing exchange management tools on my BE Server because i did not have that on there.

As far as the backup, i am not exactly worried about my disaster recovery, that part of my backup in the selection list is ok. i having an issue understanding why or why not to backup shadow copy. I also am not sure what the difference between the mailbox in the information store and the mailbox on the "C" drive. i do not want to backup both because it doubles the size of my backup and is backing up the same information twice.

BRH15
Level 4

what about continuous protection server. Should i use this option?

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

With your first concern about doing double backup it won't happen when you do backup of information store & also when you select entrie C drive backup backupexec will use active file exclusion by which those database file in C drive for exchnage won't be backed up twice & only would be backed up from Information store

About Continous protection server this is an additional option with backupexec which is used to backup transcation log for exchange but without GRT & that too it only support doing backup of it to disk

So I would recommend doing full GRT backup of information store would be more than enough in your case

Thank You

BRH15
Level 4

Well the only reason i worried about my mailbox being backed up twice is because it happened. i had both options selected and my backup was huge. by eliminating one of the options the backup was back down to the size it was before.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

You can just backup the information store under exchange server in selection & do GRT backup that should be it

Thank You

BRH15
Level 4

How can i test this to see if it is working? i would like to delete one of my e-mails and restore just that e-mail. How would i go about doing that?