cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Exchange 2010 Public Folder

mike915
Level 4

My Exchange team added a new server and moved the Public Folders to it.  I wanted to move the backup of the folders so I added the new server to Backup Exec 2012 by adding the new server.  I selected Microsoft Exchange Database availability group and the Windows Agent was installed.  The server is listed but when I try to create the job it does not show me the Information Store just the drives and the system state.  If I try to create a new job for the original server I am able to see the Information Store.

12 REPLIES 12

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Could you try to select it from the Information store (DAG) as in the same place from where you select the mailbox databases? This is how it should be selected for backups.

mike915
Level 4

When I try to create a backup job using the DAG I get a failure to Browse error.  It says a Communication failure has occurred.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Mike915, 

Hey what is the browse failure that youre seeing... A screen shot would be great if possible... 

also take a look at the following doc 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129794

mike915
Level 4

Here is the error I get.

TRG1BACKUP06 - 2013-08-13T11-24-55.jpg

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

How many exchange servers do you have in the DAG?? Please verify that the remote agent is up and running on all machine associated with the DAG... Additionally please verify that the remote agent is current on all machines you can verify this by browsing C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec and viewing the properties of beremote.exe under details verify that the file version on all members of the DAG are the same as that of the media server. If all remote agents are installed and running verify that they are in fact publishing to the correct media server by opening the remote agent utility view the publishing tab and verify that the media server information is correct... if all is well and as should be you may end up needing to remove and recreate the DAG to include the previous and newly added machines

mike915
Level 4

We have a number of servers in the DAG but most our located in our other data center and are backed up by another system.  I am trying to backup a public folder that was moved from one server in my office to another server in my office.  I had no problem setting up the job with the old server but when I try to set it up on the new server it does not show the Information Store in the selection list.

I assume since I do not have the agent installed on all the servers in the DAG I will not be able to use it as a source for a backup.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You will see communication errors when trying to browse the selection list of the DAG if you have a member of the DAG that does not have a remote agent instaled. 

mike915
Level 4

Then I need to figure out why I can not see the information store on the new server that was added to Backup Exec 2012.  It has the Remote Agent installed and running but all I see is the drives and the system state.  The server it is replacing is setup the same way but I can see the Information Store in the selection list.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

??? hmm.. you should not have been able to do so... unless maybe the information store wasnt being replicated through out the dag... question are you able to view the information store if you browse using one of the other servers in the DAG

mike915
Level 4

I have an server1 which I am backing up the public folder database.  The messaging team installed a new server, Server2, and migrated the Public Folder database over to it.  When I try to setup a backup job for server2 i do not see the Information Store in the selection list like I do on server1.  I only see the drives and the system state.  Both servers have the same version of the Remote agent installed.

mike915
Level 4

If an Exchange Server is in the DAG can you only backup the Information Store using the DAG or can you backup via the individual servers.  The server I am having an issue with is in the DAG and the server that works is not.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Correct Mike, 

This is why i was asking you earlier whether or not you were able to see the exchange resources on any other servers that were a part of the DAG. You should not be able to see the exchange resources without backing up through the DAG if the machine is a part of a DAG.