cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up FROM a USB TeraByte Drive to tape fails...

Venture_Communi
Level 3
We are running Windows 64Bit Server 2008 on a Power Edge 1950.  We use Backup exec 12.5 SP5 and a PowerVault 132T Drive running LTO 3 drive/media.  Backing the actual server system state etc work great.  We have added a USB attached TeraByte drive for additional "local" storage of just random files, mp3, video audio etc.  The job for the USB drive fails everytime.  You can see in the log it is getting a snapshot of the drive but keeps failing during the actual backup. 
-----

(Server: "SERVER") (Job: "Complete D") Complete D -- The job failed with the following error: The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.
----
This job is a standalone job of nothing but the USB drive.  There is NO outside activity, processes, etc running against the external during the backup window time frame.

The job log shows the directories that are to be backed up and every file but just fails and gives the above error.

Bashing my head against a wall right now as it is becoming impossible to find a solution.  Google just brings up backing up TO a USB as issues.

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Which directory/file is it failing on? Normally the error states this, and it can be linked to something that was initially selected for backup, but that no longer exists. For some reason BEWS doesn't detect this change, and the job subsequently fails.
This is normally sorted out by going into the text version of your selection list, and editing it out (Open selection list --> View Selection Details).

Laters!

Galane
Level 3
Try de-selecting the System Volume Information and $RECYCLE.BIN or RECYCLER folders in the backup job. You may have to change Windows' options to not hide System files and folders.

I just checked one of my large USB drives and found the $RECYCLE.BIN folder had multiple empty subfolders all named Recycle bin, with the empty bin icon, so I selected them all and hit Delete. (Nope, no imploding universe from sending trash already in the bin, to the bin.) Then I went the the desktop and emptied the bin.

My internal hard drives each have a folder named RECYCLER, each with two randomly named empty folders with the empty bin icon, which cannot be deleted.

I always un-hide hidden files/folders/extensions on all my personal systems. Bloody nuisance otherwise, especially when it comes to copying, moving, backing up and deleting. I've been using PCs since 1983 and don't like things being hidden from me.

Venture_Communi
Level 3
It is failing on EVERY directory. 

Venture_Communi
Level 3
These options have already been removed.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Create a NEW Selection list and associate it with the existing job.

Hope this helps...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

double check the rights that the BackupExec service account has to the TerraByte drive. 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Any news here...?