cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Hyper-V Host and VM's BE 20.6

Jeff7591
Level 2

Hello,

I am in the process of implementing Backup Exec 20.6 as our backup solution. I have all of our physical servers moved over and running good backups and I'm moving on to our Hyper-V Host and Virtual servers. I installed the agent on the host and the option to install the agent on the virtual servers was already checked so I left it that way. I added the Hyper-V Host and each individual virtual server, (I have 3 on this host), to the servers list.

I went to setup the backup job for the host and this is where I get confused. The backup options for the host have drive C: (OS), Drive D: (home of the virtual servers), and also lists each virtual server under the "Microsoft Hyper-V Servers". If I wanted to restore the complete host, including all virtual servers, I'm guessing I would just leave everything checked and create the backup job. I'd rather like to be able to restore each individual server, (including just the host for the OS), with the ability to restore a virtual machine to a different host.

What is the recommended way to run backups in this scenario?

Thanks, Jeff 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, check everything in backup selection list.

The Veritas Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Hyper-V (Agent for Hyper-V) lets you back up and restore the following resources:

• Hyper-V hosts that run on supported versions of Microsoft Windows.

You can find a list of supported operating systems, platforms, and applications at the following URL:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000017788

• All virtual machines that reside on the Hyper-V hosts.

• Clustered Hyper-V hosts, including the virtual machines that reside on cluster shared volumes (CSV).

Backup Exec performs a single-pass backup to protect the host configuration data, all virtual machines, and VSS-aware applications that are installed on the virtual machines. Backup Exec's file/folder-level Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) is enabled by default for backup jobs. You can use a GRT-enabled backup to restore individual files and folders from a Windows virtual machine without restoring the entire virtual machine. In addition, you can restore individual items from Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, and Active Directory applications that reside on virtual machines. You can also restore individual databases from Microsoft SQL when it resides on virtual machines.

For more details, check : https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/59226269-99535599-0/v53950404-99535599

Thanks and Regards 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, check everything in backup selection list.

The Veritas Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Hyper-V (Agent for Hyper-V) lets you back up and restore the following resources:

• Hyper-V hosts that run on supported versions of Microsoft Windows.

You can find a list of supported operating systems, platforms, and applications at the following URL:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000017788

• All virtual machines that reside on the Hyper-V hosts.

• Clustered Hyper-V hosts, including the virtual machines that reside on cluster shared volumes (CSV).

Backup Exec performs a single-pass backup to protect the host configuration data, all virtual machines, and VSS-aware applications that are installed on the virtual machines. Backup Exec's file/folder-level Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) is enabled by default for backup jobs. You can use a GRT-enabled backup to restore individual files and folders from a Windows virtual machine without restoring the entire virtual machine. In addition, you can restore individual items from Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, and Active Directory applications that reside on virtual machines. You can also restore individual databases from Microsoft SQL when it resides on virtual machines.

For more details, check : https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/59226269-99535599-0/v53950404-99535599

Thanks and Regards 

I want to reduce the amount of total data that is backed up by the job running on the hyper-v host. Can i not simply un-select everything except the "Microsoft Hyper-V" selection and perhaps my VHD's in the E:?

RogRubin
Employee

To ensure nobody suggest something based on assumption; could you share a screenshot or two showing what exactly you mean?
What have you currently selected and what are you thinking off deselecting.