cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Hyper-V Server with SBE Backup Exec 2012

lukeb123
Level 4

We are about to implement a solution, where by they have a Server 2008 Standard base install, then have their SBS 2011 Server running within Hyper-V.  I have read the SBE document and it states 3 virtual or 3 physical.  Can I assume that the SBS Server will be covered with SBE?

Backup Exec would of course be installed on the physical 2008 Standard install so that it can communicate with the LTO device.

6 REPLIES 6

lmosla
Level 6

Hello luke,  The license for the Virtual SBS server is supported with the SBE 2012. 

see How Agents and Options are Licensed in Symantec Backup Exec 2012   page 3 of the Backup Exec 2012 Portfolio License Guide

lukeb123
Level 4

Thanks for the swift response.  Just thought I would double check.

lukeb123
Level 4

Just to further elaborate on this:

* Backup Exec SBE will be installed on our base OS (not being backed up)
* 1 Hyper-V Agent installed within the virtual machine itself to backup the whole image
* 1 Remote Agent installed within the virtual machine to enable granular data/exchange backup
* 1 Remote Agent installed on their Terminal Server
* 1 Remote Agent installed on their Windows Storage Server.

Although it looks like 4 agents would be installed and the limit is three, am I right in saying that it would still be covered under SBE as the virtual machine is part of the physical machine?

lukeb123
Level 4

In simple terms....with SBE, if you backup the HyperV Server as an image so that you can have easy recovery, and then backup files on a granular levels (i.e. remote agent), does this count as just one agent under the SBE licensing?

I know with the standard version, to backup a HyperV Server requires a HyperV agent, and then a seperate Remote Agent to backup the files granularly.

lmosla
Level 6

To back up seperate physical servers I believe you would need to purchase an additional agent.  I really recommend contacting licensing to verify your set up at http://www.symantec.com/en/us/global/licensing/

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I know with the standard version, to backup a HyperV Server requires a HyperV agent, and then a seperate Remote Agent to backup the files granularly.

You do not need to purchase RAWS licences for your VM's because the Hyper-V agent licence entitles you to load RAWS onto as any VM that is hosted on the physical machine which is licenced for the Hyper-V agent.