cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Hyper-V VMs with VHDs from different locations

Stefan_Linck
Level 3

Hi there,

i am trying to backup Hyper-V virtual machines from a Cluster storage location with this settings:

C:\ClusterStorage\VMs --- There are the virtual machine files, snapshot files and the VHDs of the C: drives

C:\ClusterStorage\Files --- There are the VHDs of other partitions like data or databases

Those are PHYSICALLY DIFFERENT hard drives on the cluster storage

When I backup a machine that only has a c: drive everything works fine. If there is another partition located in the Files-folder the backup fails saying: V-79-40960-38521 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\CLUS-01\Hyper-V?HA?VM\...
A virtual machine snapshot could not be created. Use the Event Viewer on the Hyper-V host to identif...

In the C:\ClusterStorage\VMs folder there is a security group called "Virtual machines" which is not there in the C:\ClusterStorage\Files folder. I cannot add that group manually and I am not even sure that this is the problem

So if anyone has an idea how to fix that I would be very happy!

Best regards - Stefan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As this is possibly similar to exampel 3 in https://www.veritas.com/community/articles/using-backup-exec-hyper-v-20 (although you may not be using redirected CSV if your CSVs are all on one node)  then it looks like we should be able to do it and you should probably log a formal support case for us to look at the issue in more depth.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver

Have you added the Hyper-V host into BE following the Admin Guide information in Appendix D and aere you making your selectiosn via this host object and not via the Agent for WIndows object for the same computer? Page 853 in English BE 1 version)

This same appendix contains info on page 859 (in English BE 15 version) of cerating the job (whilst it does not go into details it shouls expose objects representing the Virtual Machines theselves that you need to select.

Stefan_Linck
Level 3

Yes I have added the host this way.

The backup is running fine as long as the all VHDs are in the VMs folder. It only fails if one or more VHDs are located in the Files folder which is on the same level next to VMs folder but physically on a different disk in the ClusterSharedStorage. Is this setting kind of "Remote VSS"?

In the Admin guide I have read this: "Remote VSS is not supported. In other words, virtual machines with vhd or vhdx files that are located on shares are not supported."

Thanks for your support!

Stefan.

Colin_Weaver

As this is possibly similar to exampel 3 in https://www.veritas.com/community/articles/using-backup-exec-hyper-v-20 (although you may not be using redirected CSV if your CSVs are all on one node)  then it looks like we should be able to do it and you should probably log a formal support case for us to look at the issue in more depth.