cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Hyper-V exchange server

Alex13
Level 3

Hi.

I have an Hyper V host on it I have my exchange server (virtual).

I wont to backup it in that way that iw will be posible to restore the exchange vhd if needed and restor a specific mail from any of my exchange data bases.

Is it posible?

Wht is the best way to do this?

thanks a lot.

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can enable GRT for Exchange.  You would need an Agent for Applications and Databases licence and load the remote agent in the Exchange VM.

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

purchase the agent for hyper-v. This will give you all the options for the virtual servers located on your hypervisor. With this agent you are able to deploy all the necessary agents on your virtual servers based on the licensed host.

applying the backup through the hypervisor, will you the possibility to restore:

- the complete virtual server, 

- some items in that server

- exchange db's

- items withing the exchange db

Thanks for the answerers.

I do have hyper v agent license.
I have full license.

I did install the agent on the host and on the virtual machine itself.

I am running the backup job from the host and on the server list in backup exec I see the virtual machine as a server and not exchange.
After backup when going in restore I can restore all of the virtual machine files but no exchange DB options.

We did have job specific for the exchange db. But I won't now to be able to backup and restore the virtual machine as whole machine as well as the specific mail or mailbox.

Thanks again.

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6

have a look in the adminsitrators guide, specially in the section D "Veritas backup exec agent for Hyper-v"

read out the information regarding virtual exchange servers. this will give you a clear view on the possibilities regarding your configuration

Can you poine me to this document please?

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Nope.  The hypervisor agent only allows you to backup a VM as a VM.  If you want to restore individual mail items from Exchange, you need an Agent for Applications and Databases licence for each Exchange server, physical or virtual.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As I said earlier, in order to do Exchange GRT, i.e. to see individual mail items, you need to install an Agent for Applications and Databases licence for each Exchange server.  The hypervisor agent licence is not good enough.

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just to try to tidy up the correct answers given by both Jurgen and pkh

Yes you can do it by performing an Application GRT enabled backup of the Exchange Virtual Machine.

On a technical level this type of backup requires

-That supported versions of Hyper-V, Windows OS and Exchange are involved, so check the SCL.

-That our remote agent software is installed inside the Exchange Virtual Machine

- That either a full BE server or a remote agent is installed on the Hyper-V host itself

- That Exchange is not setup as a DAG (or using something like LCR/CCR)

- That network access (including name resolution) is available between Media Server and Virtual Machine as well as Media Server and Hyper-V host (i.e. you cannot have a complete segregated virtual network for Application GRT to work)

On a licensing level this type of backup requires

One of the following -

Capacity Licensing Edition (this covers everything)

OR

V-Ray Edition (will need some additional agent for windows or application agent licenses if you need to backup Physical systems as well)

OR

Backup Exec Server with Virtual Agent and Application Agent licenses (plus extra licenses for any other systems) - this licensing model is often known as 'A La Carte'

---------

Note the reason for choosing a specific model from the above list usually relates to simplicity of use against cost (and what licenses you already own) and you would probably need to work with a reseller to work out what is best for you, as typically we cannot cover specific costs on a forum. At this current time (and assuming that no licenses are already owned, which I know is not true for the OP) the Capacity Edition is usually recommended as being the easiest to manage going forwards.