cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up NAS box via BE 12.5 using Share

Zatdam
Level 3
Hi
Can someone help. I am trying to backup a NAS box using a share and the job keeps failing with "

The job failed with the following error: Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly."

It doesn't seem to matter if I use the local admin account on the NAS or a Domain user. The NAS is connected to the domain and uses Windows SMB
I have the Remote Agent for Windows and Netware Servers installed on the Media server

I can see the files etc when selecting them. All latest updates are applied

Job ended: Thursday, October 08, 2009 at 10:31:31 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly.
Final error category: Security Errors

V-79-57344-3844 - The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine ARCHIVE.
The media server will use the local agent to try to complete the operation.
Access is denied to Remote Agent.  Check the login account for the specified device.
V-79-57344-3844 - The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine ARCHIVE.
The media server will use the local agent to try to complete the operation.
Access is denied to Remote Agent.  Check the login account for the specified device.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Can you try a test, please? Logout of media server and logon with credentials provided in "system logon account" of Backup Exec. Try accessing the NAS device as a share using \\<computername>\share . Does it ask for a password, when you try this? If yes, we need to fix this first, which means it should allow you to get in the share using the windows credentials with which you have logged in to the media server. Let us know the results of this test.

Thanks

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

teiva-boy
Level 6
 What NTLM version does your NAS support?  

Also are you licensed for a remote agent?  

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

In order to backup the NAS device, Backup Exec system logon account must have permissions on the share. So, you may go to logon accounts and make sure that the "system logon account" is a user with permissions on NAS device. Also, if your NAS device supports NDMP, please disable it, as you are not using it for backups.

Thanks

Zatdam
Level 3
Hi

It looks like it uses NTLM v2 and does not support NDMP. The service account I am using is setup against the share on the NAS box.

Cheers

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Do you see a byte count in the backup job? Is it no backup or "some backup"? The reason why i ask is that this kind of error would always be seen, as we don't really get a remote agent on the NAS device and BE would throw an error saying, it never found one. But, it must fall backup to local remote agent for backups. And that is when the credentials of "system logon account" is used. I would like you to check 'system logon account' and not service account for permissions. Make sure Backup Exec system logon account has permissions on the NAS device. And check byte count and restore selctions, to verify that the data did get backed up.

Thanks

Zatdam
Level 3
Hi

It is 0 bytes backed up and runs for 4 seconds. I am using the system logon account and this account is setup on the NAS box.
Cheers

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
What is the result of "telnet <NAS box name> 10000>?

Thanks

Zatdam
Level 3
Could not open connection to the host on port 10000: connect failed

Zatdam
Level 3
I can connect via port 445 (SMB). Do I need to configure BE to communicate over this port?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Can you try a test, please? Logout of media server and logon with credentials provided in "system logon account" of Backup Exec. Try accessing the NAS device as a share using \\<computername>\share . Does it ask for a password, when you try this? If yes, we need to fix this first, which means it should allow you to get in the share using the windows credentials with which you have logged in to the media server. Let us know the results of this test.

Thanks

Zatdam
Level 3
Hi

Thanks for that

I have found the answer thanks to the last post.

I have been logged into the BE Server as administrator and the system account was Backup. Logging into the BE server as backup and submitting the job has allowed it to work.
Seems a little strange that even thou when logged in as Administrator and submitting the job using the backup credentials it woudl not work.

Thanks for all your help

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Seems a little strange that even thou when logged in as Administrator and submitting the job using the backup credentials it woudl not work.

I've always thought that was a little strange too, but it's been like that since v6.1 that I know of