cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up SQL clusters with 2014

Steve_Hart_3
Level 2

I'm backing up two separate SQL clusters.

Each cluster has 2 Win 2012 servers running SQL 2012. I have installed a BE agent on each server. I have four jobs for each cluster, "Server1", "Server2", "ServerCluster" and "SQLInstance". In both clusters, the server backups succeed and the SQL Instance backup succeeds. The ServerCluster backup fails with an error 2000FE07. 

Ideas?

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...there should be a cluster configuration wizard that you run after installing the agents. This allows BE to identify the cluster. You'd then backup the virtual node itself, and could backup the physical nodes if needed.

Just make sure you've done this.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I am not aware of any cluster configuration wizard for application data such as SQL, though verbatim from HOWTO99220

How to back up SQL clusters

You may need to manually add resource containers for SQL clusters before you can back up the databases.

To add resource containers, install the Agent for Windows on the cluster physical nodes. If the resource container for the virtual SQL server is not automatically detected, use the Add Server wizard to add the virtual resource container for the SQL virtual cluster node. When you run the Add Server wizard, uncheck the Upgrade the Agent for Windows option because it is already installed on the physical node. Then, make your backup selections from the virtual resource container that you added.

So typically, the backup jobs would be setup as such 

1) Back up the clustered data via the  virtual node of each cluster

2) Back up the non-clustered data such as C:\, System State of each server

Steve_Hart_3
Level 2

After I installed the agents on both SQL servers, my BE server auto-created 4 new items. 

1) SQL1 (Server) Backs up properly

2) SQL2 (Server) Backs up properly

3) SQLInstance (SQL Instance) Backs up properly, includes all databases.

4) SQLCluster (Windows Server cluster) Backup fails

I guess the question boils down to "Do I need to backup this 4th item?". It doesn't show any resources to backup.

VJware
Level 6

Is the 3rd resource the virtual node of the cluster ? If not, you'll have to manually add the virtual node of the cluster for the clustered data backup. And if the 4th resource doesn' show any backup selections, then it should be ok not to backup.

Colin_Weaver

The Backup Exec Cluster Configuration wizard is only there to cluster Backup Exec itself (and the bit that affects SQL is how we handle the BKUPEXEC SQL Instance

This wizard has nothing to do with how you configure the beckups of SQL within a cluster.