cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up SQL databases and transaction logs Clarification needed.

Vdang
Level 4

I am trying to make sense of the following statement from a tech article which I will be providing a link below and I am not sure if I am understanding the context properly, "Additionally, Backup Exec runs a full backup when you select the Automatic or Log backup methods if a full backup was not previously run on the database." 

Does that statement mean that If I have selected the following option, "Log - Back up and truncate transaction log" without scheduling a full backup to run that day it will automatically run a full backup then backup the log and trucate them every day that it is schedule for? or is it referring to only the first full backup?

The reason why I am asking is the first job backup method is set by default to do a full backup of the entire database. Then the second job you can specify to do one of 9 options from log to copy, full etc..image.png

Lastly by selecting to do a log backup and truncation is it suppose to show up as incremental backup as the Job Type under the for the selected server under backup and restore as seen below? image.png

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000108901

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Suppose your job specifies full backup on Sunday and differential backups on weekdays and you add a log backup on Wed., the job will then run a full backup before running the log backup, even if the full backup is not scheduled.

Yes, it will show up as incremental.  Differential is a differential database backup.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Suppose your job specifies full backup on Sunday and differential backups on weekdays and you add a log backup on Wed., the job will then run a full backup before running the log backup, even if the full backup is not scheduled.

Yes, it will show up as incremental.  Differential is a differential database backup.