cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up VMWare Config Files?

Thundercleese
Level 5

Hi,

Does anyone know a way to backup VMWare Hypervisor configuration files using Backup Exec.  File such as those listed in /etc/ and other locations that are important to the hypervisor.

FYI I have Backup Exec 2010 and licenses to connec to VMWare hypervisors (currently using it to backup my VMs).
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Symanticus
Level 6

Have you consider using vicdg-cfgbackup comand line from vMA ?
URL: http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vcli/vcli41/doc/reference/vicfg-cfgbackup.html

Actually This is what i do to backup the ESXi server settings with the help of vMA appliance VM

Backup:
vicfg-cfgbackup.pl –server <server_name> -s <backup_file_name>

Restore:
vicfg-cfgbackup.pl –server <server_name> -l <backup_file_name> 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Symanticus
Level 6
as far as i know it cannot backup the ESX config files itself :|
since the AVVI can only be used to backup the VM running on top of the hypervisor.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Correct, you cannot backup the configuration of the ESX host with Backup Exec (VI Agent).
Depending on the version of ESX you have, you can use host profiles to have a copy of the configuration, as the installation of ESX takes only half an hour.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you look at the Remote Agent for Linux and Unix Systems (RALUS) section of the Software compatibility List, it lists some compatibility for ESX 3.x - so we used to be able to install RALUS on the Host itself. It however looks like we didn't see much use of this option as we haven't included ESX 4 in this compatibility verification.That said, in theory ESX does not take that long to install and configure. It also shoudln't need the configuration changing very often. As such I suspect the usual recommendtaion is to document your installation carefully - including update levels and and non default configuration changes and then re-install your ESX host if you ever run into a DR situation. Once the host is rebuilt you can then restore the VMs from BE.

Thundercleese
Level 5

That  makes sense, thanks all for the helpful posts. smiley

Symanticus
Level 6

Have you consider using vicdg-cfgbackup comand line from vMA ?
URL: http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vcli/vcli41/doc/reference/vicfg-cfgbackup.html

Actually This is what i do to backup the ESXi server settings with the help of vMA appliance VM

Backup:
vicfg-cfgbackup.pl –server <server_name> -s <backup_file_name>

Restore:
vicfg-cfgbackup.pl –server <server_name> -l <backup_file_name> 

Symanticus
Level 6

thanks for the clarification and the points man :)