cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up a SNAP Server

KJ_44
Level 3

Hello,

I am trying to backup a SNAP 410.  In my research, I have found two ways to do it.  One, install the Linux Remote Agent.  This does not work because the SNAP's OS is not a full Linux, it is just a CLI.

The second way is using User Defined Selections.  This was how we set the job up, but it is not working.  We are receiving an authentication error no matter what account we use.

When testing the credentials on this job, there are two resources listed:

SERVER

SERVER\DIRECTORY_TO_BACKUP

When I run a test on the credentials, the root server always fails and the directory below root that we want to back up succeeds. 

EDIT: The error I am seeing now is: The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems is not installed on the Remote Computer.

Has anyone run into this?

Thank you.

Kevin

Message Edited by KJ 44 on 10-03-2008 10:27 AM
6 REPLIES 6

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
You will receive the remote agent error every time you run a backup because there is not a Backup Exec Remote Agent installed on that server. 

KJ_44
Level 3

Thank you for  your response.  I have read that this would happen, however, nothing is backed up and in the backup log I see:

The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine [REMOVED].
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.

Access is denied to Remote Agent.  Check the login account for the specified device.

and

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly.

Thanks.

Kevin

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you logon to the media server as the BackupExec service account, can you map the SNAP server?

Are you specifying "Connect As"

try creating and account on the SNAP with the same user-id and password as the Service Accout

okorioth
Level 3
KJ44, I just wanted to let you know, at least with the snap 4500 and 14000, with the latest guardian OS there is a fully enabled linux OS on there. You type 'osshell' via SSH to get to this area. I have sucessfully installed ralus agents on both, although it is not officially supported.

KJ_44
Level 3

THank you very much.  I didn't realize I had to type the osshell command.  I was able to install the RALUS client however, on my machine I cannot add the necessary users to the beoper group.  usermod -a -G does not exist as a command!  Any idea how to add an existing user to a group from this "linux"?

Thanks.

Kevin

KJ_44
Level 3

OKay, I was able to get the RALUS client installed but was not able to add the root account to the beoper group.  I did add another account that has administrative priveleges.  However, when I rebooted and attempted to contact the server, the media server is not seeing the remote agent.  The beremote.service.log file on the server has the following in it:

/opt/VRTSralus/bin/beremote: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.2' not found (required by /opt/VRTSralus/bin/libvxACE.so.3)
/opt/VRTSralus/bin/beremote: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.2' not found (required by /opt/VRTSralus/bin/libvxTAO.so.3)
/opt/VRTSralus/bin/beremote: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3.2' not found (required by /opt/VRTSralus/bin/libndmp_tpfmt.so)

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Kevin