cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up a Solaris machine

m_ellul
Level 4
Hi,

I am trying to backup a solaris server on a windows machine using Backup Exec 10d. I have installed Backup Exec on a Solaris agent by following the steps in the below link:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279329

Unfortunately, the solaris server did not show up in the list of servers on the windows backup machine. 

Is there something I am missing? Is there something else I need to do? Does the Solaris need a restart or maybe something else installed or set up?

Thanks 
4 REPLIES 4

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Please go to the solaris server, and run "ps -ef | grep beremote" to identify if beremote process is running. If not, manually start the agent by running: "/etc/init.d/VRTSralus.init start"
Once started, from the BE server, add the Solaris server, through user defined selections, and see if you are able to expand it get to select files under it. Please note that you must have added RALUS license on the BE server, to get this working. Install the RALUS license on the BE server.

Thanks

m_ellul
Level 4
Thanks Hemant Jain,

Everything is running on the Solaris server.

I do have a license but I am not using the media server software at the moment. I am only backing up to hard disk so I only have CPS installed.

Is there a way to install the license with CPS only? Should this be installed on the Solaris server as well?

Thanks again

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You need a Backup Exec software to backup solaris server. CPS cannot help you in backup of solaris, it is a Windows application only. So, install Backup Exec and add RALUS there, only then RALUS can be of help to you. Please note that Backup Exec and CPS are totally different softwares, so you cannot add licenses related to Backup Exec using CPS console or CPS install.

Thanks

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Please check the compatibily list for backup exec 10 d and make sure version of solaris you are running  is listed in the supported OS