cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up deduplicated data

Bootstrapper
Level 3

Media server: Physical, Windows 2012 R2 (Fully patched). Backup Exec 2014 (Fully patched), writing to LTO tape storage library (fiber-connected).

Client server: Virtual, Windows 2012 R2 (fully patched), volume being backed-up is deduplicated natively by Windows. Approximately 1.5TB of data needs to be backed up.

Both servers live on the same subnet, 1GB NICs all around.

Windows firewalls disabled on both devices.

Symantec Endpoint Protection installed on both servers (disabled on Media (BEX) Server)

Backup exec is configured to back up the client data from its de-duped storage to a local 'staging' disk (non-deduped), then copy it to tape.

My problem: The data transfer rate is abysmal - under 150MB/Minute.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

..your data is being rehydrated because it is in deduped format.

Try looking at something like SAN Transport Mode in BE. This might speed things up.

Thanks!

Bootstrapper
Level 3

Thanks Craig,

I'll look into this and let you know if it makes a difference.

Paul

Bootstrapper
Level 3

Update:  In order to implement this configuration, I need to purchase additional hardware; 10GB NIC and cable, to plug directlly into the Switch.  These parts need to be approved and ordered. I'll advise accordingly.

Bootstrapper
Level 3

Question:  Is the san transport option a licensable feature?  Or can we do this out of the box?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The SAN transport mode is an option available when backing up virtual machines using the Agent for VMware.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...just an aside...SAN Transport MIGHT help, but it's not going to be lightening fast...data will still be rehydrated.

However, it is worth a test to see the results.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

btw, what is the value of "Deduplicate files older than" setting ? If it's set to 0, then I would recommend moving up the value higher.