cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up deduplication store to cloud storage

dhill82
Level 3

We are currently trying to figure out if it's possible to send our deduplication store from Backup Exec 2012 to a cloud storage provider.  I've found plenty of documentation that talks about sending it to various places on the LAN and via FTP, but nothing about sending to something like Amazon cloud storage.  I'm guessing FTP will be our best bet, but we're just trying to find out what our options are.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

FTP is absolutely no guarantee you will be able to restore your data at all.

BE 2014 has a supported Cloud provider, and BE 2012 MIGHT. There is an entire section in the Admin Guide around this which is probably best read. Also check the BE 2012 SCL to see which provider is supported.

If you do manage to duplicate to a cloud provider, expect the data to rehydrate to the original size.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Have you checked out the Riverbed products?  They are listed as being supported with Amazon S3 on the BE HCL for both BE 2012 and BE 2014.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/library/BUSINESS/xCL/TECH214803/be_2014_hcl.html#cloud_storage-disk_targets

One advantage for Q-Cloud is that it is an OST solutions, which means you are only sending duplicated data to the cloud.  Sending unduplicated data to the cloud would require a much bigger pipe.  the economics of it all depend upon your requirements.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

FTP is absolutely no guarantee you will be able to restore your data at all.

BE 2014 has a supported Cloud provider, and BE 2012 MIGHT. There is an entire section in the Admin Guide around this which is probably best read. Also check the BE 2012 SCL to see which provider is supported.

If you do manage to duplicate to a cloud provider, expect the data to rehydrate to the original size.

Thanks!

dhill82
Level 3

Thanks for the info.  It looks like I can't find any supported vendors for 2012.  2014 says it supports Q-Cloud,but I think my manager mentioned he looked at that and it was too expensive.  

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Have you checked out the Riverbed products?  They are listed as being supported with Amazon S3 on the BE HCL for both BE 2012 and BE 2014.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/library/BUSINESS/xCL/TECH214803/be_2014_hcl.html#cloud_storage-disk_targets

One advantage for Q-Cloud is that it is an OST solutions, which means you are only sending duplicated data to the cloud.  Sending unduplicated data to the cloud would require a much bigger pipe.  the economics of it all depend upon your requirements.