cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up exchange 2003 remote, Event id 215 on First Storage Group

Selma_Gjeset
Level 4
I'm backing up a remote server (exchange 2003). I'm running diff on mailboxes and full on the Storage Group. The mailbox backup is sucsessfull, but the backup on the storage group fails with event id 215 (Information Store (3840) First Storage Group: The backup has been stopped because it was halted by the client or the connection with the client failed. ) in the application log on the client/exchange srv.

20 min later the backup server logs this failure:
"A timeout occurred waiting for completion of media server data processing"

In application log on the backup server event id 34113 (Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed (Server: "") (Job: "Full pegasus first storage group (daglig)") Full first storage group (daglig) -- The job failed with the following error: The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Please check for network errors.) is logged.

The backup of the storage group runs first, mailboxes after.

Any suggestions?Message was edited by:
Selma Gjeset
11 REPLIES 11

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Selma,

Have you tried just backing up the information store?

Is any Anti-virus running during backup?

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Selma_Gjeset
Level 4
Antivirus is running on both servers(and was running when we were able to get sucessful jobs too). And yes, I've tried running the storage group as a separate job. It's in fact running as a separate job now.

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hello,

We would suggest you to stop the Anti-virus Software when backing up the data.

Please update us on the same.

Thanks

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Selma_Gjeset
Level 4
Did it, didn't work. Same error. And as mentioned - it worked earlier with AV running. And it works when backing up mailboxes form same client, to same BE server with AV running. And I think the perfomance would be even poorer/slower then.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Please refer these documents:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/246973
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810333

For test purpose perform a backup with NT backup!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Selma_Gjeset
Level 4
Regarding http://support.veritas.com/docs/246973 - the file does not exist on the backup server. And it has never been there. Not even when the backup where running sucessfully. (And - we're running exchange 2003, not 2000)

Last week I had 1 - one - sucsessful backup of the information store ... and I'm running with the same config as before (I have restored the old settings after testing different options for a couple of days).... So I do not believe that adding the adminpack or the .dll will change anything.

Regarding hardware problems - we don't have any other indicators that points in that direction. And bricklevel backup of mailboxes runs without any errors.

The only third-party sink in use are sybari antigen. Which also have worked well earlier. (Norton are running, but on-access scan are disabled for backup applications).

Local NT-backup runs ok.

The size of the Storage group is apr. 16-17GB. Could the problem be network related? The error may occur after only 200MB or after 11GB - or anything else. It does not seem to follow any pattern.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Please refer this technote:
http://seer.support.veritas.com//docs/258159.htm

Also ensure that NIC card drivers are latest.

Verify if there are any network issues. Are there any related erros in event log?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Selma_Gjeset
Level 4
No problem with the NIC - and the bricklevel backup IS running on the same client without errors every day. And Storage Group backup runs without errors now and then (approx once every 2 weeks...).

There are no disk problems logged on the BE client.

Final error category is not the one mentioned in the technote, but
"Final error category: Resource Errors"

It seems that using NTbackup + normal file backup and leave Veritas' Exchange backup of the store is the only way to get an usable backup.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Run the sgmon before running the backup job.

How to create SGMON.LOG
<<>>

Selma_Gjeset
Level 4
As far as I'm concerned backup is working satisfactory now, with NT-backup + file backup. I'm not able to use any more time on debugging the problem as long as we have backup that works.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Selma,

thank you for the update. Do feel free to get back to us!

One more idea would be to install BEWS for test purpose locally on your exchange server to see if the backup works with BEWS?

Regards, Ashutosh NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.