cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up exchange from another server

Simon_Scott
Level 4
We have Veritas installed on server A and would like to backup our Exchange Mailboxes on Server B. Server B has Veritas installed but the tape drive no longer works. On server A when I go into Veritas and attempt to select the mailboxes i don't get the option. I have got this working before but cannot remember what i need to change.

Hope somebody can help

Many Thanks

Simon

6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You'll have to uninstall BackupExec from server B.  BackupExec has never (IIRC( backed up another machine that has a second copy of BE on it

Simon_Scott
Level 4
Hi Ken

Thanks for your reply

I have always managed to backup from the server previously with Veritas on it!! I have recently rebuilt this server hence why this problem has arisen, can you assist any further??

Thanks

Simon

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If it worked before  ,,,

Is the Exchange serial still installed in media server A  (the non-Exchange Server)

If you logon to media server A as the BackupExec service account and open outlook, can you still connect to and access other Mailboxes?

Simon_Scott
Level 4
Ok well i have logged onto Outlook with the same account as Veritas has as the service account and tried to open other mailboxes, and i get the message 'unable to expand folders'! Is this my issue??

Simon

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
yes

The way that BackupExec backs up Mailboxes is that it logs onto the Exchange Server as the BackupExec Service Account, then attaches to each Mailbox and "opens" and reads each item in that mailbox

Has anything changed lately?

Is the Service Account still an Exchange Admin?

Simon_Scott
Level 4
The only thing that has changed has been the mail server, but we called it the same name as what it was originally

Yes the service account is still an Exchange Admin