cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up external hard drives.

itjem
Level 3

I've seen a myriad of articles on how to backup TO external hard drives, but I need to do the opposite. I have 20-30 hard drives that need to be backed up to tape, and I'm not 100% sure how to go about it. I don't want to use the BE Archive option since I still want to keep the data on the drive, but otherwise for all intents and purposes I'm doing an archive (The data on the drives won't be changing, so this will be a one off backup.)

My issue is, every time I plug a drive in to the server it will get a drive letter, and the next drive I plug in will likely get the same letter. How will that work with restoring? Since from BE's point of view the data in that drive keeps on changing... Is there a specific way to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is o.k.  When you look at your catalog, you will see the files from your drives on different tapes.  When you decide to restore them, just select whatever file that you want and then do a file re-direction to some other location.  File re-direction is one of the restore job properties.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is o.k.  When you look at your catalog, you will see the files from your drives on different tapes.  When you decide to restore them, just select whatever file that you want and then do a file re-direction to some other location.  File re-direction is one of the restore job properties.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can use view by media tab while selecting data to restore.

File Redirection can not be configured if you create a restore job by using restore wizard.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Any Update?

itjem
Level 3

Ok, I was just checking to see if that was the correct way to do it. Thank you for your input.