cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up file share on a Hyper-V server

RoddersB
Level 4

Hi,

I have a strange problem whereas I am trying to backup a share on a virtual server (FS) (2008R2 server) which is hosted on a Hyper-V server (VM) (2008R2 server). Backup Exec 2010 R2 is installed on VM and configured to backup FS which has the Remote Agent installed. However we are noticing that the switch that VM is plugged into is maxxed out causing us network issues. What I can't understand is why is Backup Exec going out of server VM into the switch and back into exactly the same machine ? Why does it not treat this backup as a local job ?

Backing up the VM using the Hyper-V agent works fine but I can't run this backup every night due to the size of the backup.

I can't see any obvious configuration issues but if someone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated as always.

Brian.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are backing up a share then it has to use network transport protocols to backup up. The IP Loopback address can't apply as your 2 VMs are totally separate machines . Hence it will use the switch between the media server and the system being backed up. as you are initiating a network conversation between 2 different IP addresses.

You possibly have an option:

Add second network cards into both VM's and configure them so they can talk to each other without leaving the Htyper-V environment. Give these cards their own IP subnet and then configure the two servers so they name resolve each other using the addresses on those cards. (Note I am assumign the above is possible as it is if it was a VMware environment)

Other than this you might want to do some reserrach on Hyper-V as to whether two VMs communicating with each other on same host can directly address each other without leaving the host but still let other systems address them externally as this is kind of an enviropnmental condition more than a Backup Exec issue.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi,

Can you try to add that virtual machine using  IP address   in userdefined selection in backup exec & then try to backup that share & update

Thank You

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are backing up a share then it has to use network transport protocols to backup up. The IP Loopback address can't apply as your 2 VMs are totally separate machines . Hence it will use the switch between the media server and the system being backed up. as you are initiating a network conversation between 2 different IP addresses.

You possibly have an option:

Add second network cards into both VM's and configure them so they can talk to each other without leaving the Htyper-V environment. Give these cards their own IP subnet and then configure the two servers so they name resolve each other using the addresses on those cards. (Note I am assumign the above is possible as it is if it was a VMware environment)

Other than this you might want to do some reserrach on Hyper-V as to whether two VMs communicating with each other on same host can directly address each other without leaving the host but still let other systems address them externally as this is kind of an enviropnmental condition more than a Backup Exec issue.

RoddersB
Level 4

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply, that makes perfect sense !

Brian.

teiva-boy
Level 6

This is why Vmware has virtual switches within their hypervisor.  

Does Hyper-V have the same?  You have virtual hosts with virtual NIC's,that connect to virtual switches that eventually map to physical NIC's in the host.  THis way traffic could stay withing the hypervisor if on the same subnet.