cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up more than one server per job with BE 2012

Scott_Baker
Level 3
Employee Accredited

User Jimmy Mac told us that there is no easy, intuitive method for backing up more than one server per job even with grouping.  We are bringing back the ability to backup multiple servers in a single job in the next release.  This will allow you to define the order of the servers to be backed up and you can customize the selections for each server.

29 REPLIES 29

Bulbous
Level 5
Partner

By "next release", does this mean "2012 R2" or "2013"?

PackMatt73
Level 4
Employee

Bulbous, it will be in the immediate next release of BE, regardless of version.

GFK
Level 3
Partner Employee

http://www.thebeline.eu/?p=508 ... if you are interested in all things BE I occassionally write BE stuff on The BE Line blog that could help.

BobsBarlo
Level 3

Hi!

I am pleased to see that there is progress on this but we do need a date for "next release" as we need to plan if we need to replace Backup Exec with another application or wait. What is the expected ETA for this next release?

Regards

Kam-Hong_BE_RPM
Level 2
Employee

BobsBarlo, as a public company we are restricted from making specific date commitments.

But if you will like to participate in the beta program, please see the post at https://www secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/new-beta-program-backup-exec-2012-r2. Or if you'd like to participate in individual usability studies, please send an email to beusability@symantec.com.

PJR
Level 2

The next release of 2012 is not desirable.

2012 should be scrapped altogether.  No mother wants to hear his baby is uggly, but no cosmetic will fix missing members and organs.  It is lauchable to see that SEP files are still "unbackable" and shows errors.  That and other bugs that we've been playing for years now. BU engine service  is still freezing on a daily basis and we still have to run a daily script to restart all services. After a fresh install of BUExec 2012, I found that recovering a library is still unreliable and still don't work.  I wasted 2 days to manualy inventory my tapes. My 6 terabtes tapes that always been more then sufficient hits its limit.  2 month ago, I had two month history, now its 3 weeks. Jobs are failing at such a pace that the disk banks gets filled in a mater of few days.

We need to return to 2010 R3 and restart from there.

Symantec internal politic is the only thing that can keep that disaster alive.  I do not know how many law suit it will be required to bring back common sense to the management there.

I have bought and installed Veam onto another server - too smal unfortunately - but recovery rate is almost 100%.  Few workable glitch let's say. Compare to near 0% with 2012.  I am not kidding.  It is almost impossible to recover a backup with BE2012.

2010 recovery rate was around 65%

I have returned to 2010 to BU my DCs. ... And some remote Snapshots done with Veam.

Paul Jr

dfife
Level 2

Bottom line: Backup Exec is no longer a viable Enterprise product if you use tape.

I have been trying for 2 weeks to get the multiple issues resolved and now I am down to the multi server to 1 tape backup debacle. Tech support is a nightmare and barely more knowledgeable about the product than I am. I have had to deal with multiple tickets for multiple techs to handle my 1 overall problem: the "Upgrade" failed.

Backup Exec 2012 is NOT a reasonably functional product if you have more than 1 server and use tape.

I will be returning to Backup Exec 2010R3 and then start my hunt for a viable enterprise solution that supports tape.

Note to Symantec: I have been a Backup Exec user for over 15 years dating back to the Veritos days. I have been through many upgrade cycles and NOTHING has ever been such an abomination as this. This product simply is not viable in a multi server environment that uses tape. The manger of any usability studies ( if there even were any) should be fired.

Elizabeth_Teffn
Level 4
Employee

Hello!

Durring the week of August 20th, I am looking for user feedback regarding multi-server backup jobs in an upcoming release of Backup Exec.

If you are interested, please check out the schedule of sessions I have available.

These sessions take one hour of your time and you can participate from the comfort of your home or office. You will be logging into a WebEx session using our test machines to view the new multi-server features.

If you have any questions, please feel free to DM me.

Regards,

Elizabeth Teffner

Mhystique
Level 3

Is there any progress in this, or have you just drop the ball and the your users like with the current release?

dfife
Level 2

I was finally able to get all the issues resolved. It took 5 weeks, MANY complaints and 2 more techs. I am still going to look for a replacement product as the support nightmare still make this product non viable for an enterprise with tape.

Even though the product can be gotten to work, the EXTREMELY bad customer service makes it impossible to rely on Symantec for such a critical operation, If you value your job, stay away from this company until they can get their act together. Shame, they used to be the gold standard....

I am at a complete loss as to why I was treated so horribly.

Another note to Symantec: When your policies and procedure become more important than the customer, you are going to have a wonderful set of procedures with very few customers to apply them to.

Elizabeth_Teffn
Level 4
Employee

Mhystique - Yes, there is progress, but from your point of view, not fast enough.  Last week I had 16 folks take me up on the offer to review and give me feedback on the new multi-server backup workflow.

Of course everyone of them asked, "When will this be available?"  This new (or should I say old) functionality will be in the next release of BE. I don't have exact dates right now, and because we are a publicly traded company, I couldn't release those if I wanted to.

If you want to get this early, please sign up for the Beta program, this will be in the beta release.

Best regards... Elizabeth

Mhystique
Level 3

And how do I sign up for that?

Elizabeth_Teffn
Level 4
Employee

Mhystique,

Unfortunalty the multi-server usability testing was all last week. I have to cut things off so I can take the results and get the changes needed back to our developers to work on.

I will have other opportunities for other usability sessions in the future. 

Regards... Elizabeth

BE-Billy
Level 2
Employee Accredited

dfife-

I do apologize for your experience and would like to speak with you more about the policies and procedure that you mentioned.  If you are up to it and would like to have a candid conversation about the product I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Billy Cashwell - Product Manager, BE

billy_cashwell@symantec.com

@B3billy

WIBADGER
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Has there been any updates on this? The job failures for handling multiple servers is causing a great deal of issues. There is no rhyme or reason for the failures.

Bulbous
Level 5
Partner

I'm a little confused what "the next release" is. Does this mean the next version of Backup Exec, i.e. BE 2013? Or does it mean 2012 R2 (or whatever it may be called).

I am unsure as to whether this is upcoming in a new product, or a revision of 2012. Can you clarify?

RECH
Level 2

Do we know the hardware/OS requirenments for the "new release" , or would I have to buy new stuff to solve my issues????????

JDG1977
Level 3

I too am looking for updates on this.

JDG1977
Level 3

Spoke to a Symantec Rep today and was told October 26th...   He could have just been talking out his rear though.   We shall see.