cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up to Disk-Folder then to Tape Media

tyk
Level 3

Hi,

I am currently doing my backups to Disk-folder (SAN) and Backing up to Tape Media so I can bring it Off-Site. And when backing up to tape media completes, I erase the media on the Disk-folder so I can gain space again.

My question is, if there's a disaster and wanted to restore from my tape media, how is that possible?

Please advise 

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Have you cataloged the newly inventoried BKF file(s)?

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you are indeed backing up the BKF files to tape, then you would need to restore them to the B2D folder, and inventory each

If you instead Duplicate to Tape, you can restore directly from the tape

You can setup a Policy to do the Duplicate as soon as the B2D finishes

tyk
Level 3

Yes, I have to restore the BKF files from the tape media to the disk-folder. ....But there are BKF files left in the disk-folder already. So I think, I have to move the files in the disk-folder to a different folder (i.e. temp folder) first then, do my restore from the tape media. And, when the tape media restore completes.. and I recovered my files...  I will delete the bkf files in the folder then, move the .bkf files back from the "temp folder" to the disk-folder then inventory so the backupexec software will recognize it. Not sure if thats going to work.

I do not want to duplicate it as, I will have an issue with disk space. 

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

So I think, I have to move the files in the disk-folder to a different folder (i.e. temp folder) first then, do my restore from the tape media

That is correct

I do not want to duplicate it as, I will have an issue with disk space. 

I don't understand your concern.  If you setup an automatic Duplicate to Tape, and use an OPP of  ~12 hours for the disk data set, then each night the disk data will be overwritten

tyk
Level 3

If you setup an automatic Duplicate to Tape, and use an OPP of  ~12 hours for the disk data set, then each night the disk data will be overwritten

I think I should read more how to setup an automatic duplicate to tape.... not really familiar with that... any resources for me to understand what it really does? 

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can get hold of BE admin guide to gain some knowledge about duplicate templates...

Here is an article about explaining how to create a policy with templates: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22952

Regards....

tyk
Level 3

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22952

Hi, no direct link?

tyk
Level 3

hmmm I'm still having problems... restoring files from tape media that came from the disk-folder backup...

Because what I'm doing is, after I backed up the files in the disk-folder to the tape media... I erase the media in the disk-folder to gain space again... somethings wrong here..

When I restore it.. the Used Capacity (i.e. 19.0KB) then the Data is (2.00KB)

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

After restoring the BKF files, you need to inventory each before you can use them

tyk
Level 3

After restoring the BKF files, you need to inventory each before you can use them

Yes I did that, however, as mentioned earlier, the "used capacity" has a value but the "data" doesn't have  

I'm basically backing up the media in the disk-folder to the tape media, and when the media is backed up. I erase the media in the disk folder and erase it to gain space. I think it's overlapping?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Have you cataloged the newly inventoried BKF file(s)?

tyk
Level 3

Have you cataloged the newly invnetoried BKF file(s)?

Okay, I cataloged it and it worked. Thank you!!!

What does catalog does?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

It creates entries in the catalog for all the data that is on that media, so that you can select it for restore

(if the catalog record has been deleted or corrupted)

tyk
Level 3

Hey Ken, Thanks alot for your help. I appreciate it! 

I just have to look into the duplicate to tape you were saying earlier. Can you give me a good resources for me to understand the concept?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6