cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up video files

vovocals
Level 4

Backing up a folder on a seperate server with 931GB of video data always fails.

The first tape backup error message  was tape full

The second tape backup, the error was "encontered corrupted file"

None of my backup seems to complete.

is there something i am doing wrong? i am backing up directly to tape. and i manually inserted the barcode on the robotic library during initialization

PS: can i erase the content on the tape so i can reuse it? how do i do this with backup exec?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should put more overwritable tapes into your library. Otherwise your jobs will fail

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Video files are already compressed.  If you specify compression in your job, you are likely to end up with more data than what you have started off with.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/compression-short-explanation

You should turn off compression in your job.

To erase a tape, go to the Storage tab, right-click on the tape and select erase.  Otherwise, right-click on it and associate it with the scratch media set.  Your job would then be able to ovewrite it.

vovocals
Level 4

Thank u.

apparently it won't come online. how do i solve this

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Put it into your library.  In the Storage tab, right-click on the slot that you have placed the tape and then select Inventory.  After the inventory, the tape would be online.  You can associate it with the scratch media set and it can be overwritten.

vovocals
Level 4

this is my environment

please advice if u see smth wrong

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should put more overwritable tapes into your library. Otherwise your jobs will fail