cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up with multiple servers and selections

Nick_Beck
Level 2

Like a lot of people, I'm currently being stitched up with the insanity that is the inability to create a single job with all your servers and their specific selections in 2012.  A complete backward step, but the question is how to get around it?  I have four servers to back up, one tape drive, and one tape to use per session.  I do NOT want to do a full backup of every server, but this stupid new version will not let me customise the selection if I select multiple servers to back up.

I have created a job for each server, and I have succesfully run more than one of those consecutively onto the same tape, however I have failed to get them to all run automatically.  I scheduled each job to start a short period of time after the other, with decreasing priority, in the hope that each would queue up in order while waiting for the previous higher priority job to finish.  The first job ran correctly, then the following ones all failed, after having tried to run in the correct order, all saying "The operation failed to acquire the minimum number of drives and media needed".  The first job was set to overwrite the tape.  I set the subsequent ones to append if space was left, but not overwrite if there wasn't.  I figured setting to overwrite on all would mean I'd only end up with the last backup left.

I don't want much.  All I want is to have a custom selection on each server, and for each job to run one after the other, onto the same tape.  In BE2010, this would be a single job.  Being four jobs isn't the end of the world, but if they won't run properly, the it's no use, and I will be reverting to the older version, even if it was causing issues with the Exchange server that seems fixed by 2012.

Someone out there MUST be sending multiple jobs to the same single tape without issue, how have you done it?  I can't do a full backup of each server to the tape, there's not enough room!

24 REPLIES 24

BDO_Taranaki_IT
Not applicable

This new version is crap - I'm reverting back to 2010!

I've got the same issue as this guy - one tape drive and multiple servers to backup from.

You cannot backup the same way as you could using the earlier product version at all - its crap.

Warning to everyone - don't upgrade if you are in this situation and cancel your Maintenance Contract too - this is no longer the product for you!

I've just lost a whole days work upgrading and trying to configure this new version, and now I will be uninstalling and reverting back to the old version as there is no option to backup as a single job, with multiple servers to one tape drive.

It's a drastic change to the design of a product that I have been using for nearly 10 years with pleasure. Now I have nothing but a wasted day/night and a bad taste in my mouth.

Why mess with something that worked so well in the first place? Crazy stuff.sad

Andrew_Soc
Level 4

I started not to renew maintenance contracts....

Elizabeth_Teffn
Level 4
Employee

Andrew,

I don't have any better date that soon.  I know that's not the answer everyone is looking for. 

We are currently working on this.  I will be running another round of usability sessions soon.  This is a feature many customers want and need, so I want to get more users to take a look at the next iteration and give us feedback - BEFORE this hits the streets.

This topic has been discussed on this thread and a few others, when I get to the next round of testing, I'll post out invitations on several threads, so just keep an eye out!

Regards... Elizabeth

astoddart
Level 2

Hi Elizabeth

Thanks for the reply...so I take it the fix is not included with service pack 1a?

Regards

Andrew

Nico_Swanepoel
Level 3
Partner

Bad taste in my mouth is a very good description on how bexec 2012 makes my feel.  Total watse of time, money and resources creating a product that looks nice but cannot do anything right.