cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup 2012 cannot restore files more than a week old

GAD_Tech
Level 3

Capture.JPG

We needed to restore a folder to our Windows 2008 server, and discovered that we cannot restore any files more than a week old. The job status shows that these backups completed fine, but even though we can see them, the files cannot be accessed.

From the snapshot, all files dated in the backups 12/6/2014 to 12/12/2014 can be restored. However the ones below that cannot be. Clicking on one of those does not even display a directory tree as seen to the right.

I'd like to get something off the year end backup (not this tape) if possible, but it only shows backups with the yellow symbol in the lower left of the icon, like the ones I cannot access above.

More important, how do I fix whatever is wrong so I can get files off of old backups?

Thanks in advance for your help.

GADTech

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you ran an inventory and a catalog of these tapes ? If not, would recommend to do them first.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

lmosla
Level 6

What is the overwrite protection period?  and have you tried cataloging the media?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
As far as I can tell, the icon indicates that the backup sets are missing. Are the backup sets on disk or on tape? If they are on disk, are the disk online?

GAD_Tech
Level 3

Overwrite is set to infinite. No, I have not tried cataloging. Not that I have I noticed all the tape names and parameters apply to our old 700GB tapes that we stopped using years ago. The data is backing up on 1.6TB tapes, but the program still shows they are 700GB. Could that be the problem? And how do I fix that?

GAD_Tech
Level 3

I have both tape and disk. The set I am referring to is tapes. See my reply to previous message as to why the tape sets might be missing.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Are you reusing your tape labels?

GAD_Tech
Level 3

No, I'm not reusing tape labels. I just checked into that today when I noticed that the tape descriptions were for the 700GB tapes instead of the 1.6TB ones.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you ran an inventory and a catalog of these tapes ? If not, would recommend to do them first.

GAD_Tech
Level 3

I tried. There is no change. They still cannot be read. I have a hard time believing that so many tapes just went bad.

GAD_Tech
Level 3

I didn't understand completely how to run an inventory and catalog. Since I've studied it out and tried it, I'm getting what I neeeded.