cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup BEData?

tslogick
Level 0

I have a new backup server built and ready to go, my question is regarding backing up the backup server itself.  I am backing up to disk first and then duplicating to tape.  For the backup server job, should I include the BEData folder?  Seems counter intuitive to me since it holds the data for the backup jobs.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

2 REPLIES 2

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to the below blog

https://www.veritas.com/community/blogs/how-protect-backup-exec-itself

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Amol's blog does not mention the BE 15 (and later)  Database Encryption Key (DEK) Requirements - so make sure you export this and back this up as well.

If using Backup Set Encryption you should always keep records outside of Backup Exec of the details of the keys used (Passphrases, Encryption Level, Name etc)

Also if you have configured Deduplication and the Deduplication Store still exists then you will need the password and account name used to setup Deduplication (and possble some other details as well) in order to reconnect to the Deduplication Store.

NOTE1: For security reasons it is NOT good practice to keep backups of the DEK with the BEDB backup, or copies of the backup set encryption key details with the backup sets themselves.

NOTE2: It might be better to keep backup copies of the BEDB.bak and DEK outside of tape storage so that you can re-load these files without having to locate the correct tape and inventory/catalog it.  At very least keep a manual record of which tapes have your catalogs and BEDB records on them for different dates so that in the event of a disatser you can go straight to the first tape you need.