cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup C volume

Johnlex
Level 3
I'm using BE12.  I have a win2000 server that is installed a new hard drive. I have already formatted that new hard drive and it's ready to use now. I need to take a full backup of the C volume of existing hard drive onto a tape then need to restore it to the new hard drive and then need to remove old drive and boot from new drive. Can someone please guide me how to do it if it's possible to do ? Thanks

John
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lyon
Level 5
I'll give you an easy solution for this if your only requirement is to get your job done however.

Ignore the backup exec.
Put both drives in.
Create a mirror in windows.
Edit boot.ini to point at both. 
Restart on other disk.

Done.

Lyon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

As I understand, you are planning to de-commission the old hard drive and replace it with new one.

I will recomend you to use Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery OR Symantec Ghost
Create an image of the existing hard drive, plug in the new drive and remove the old one and restore the image.

But lets try to replace the drive using Backup Exec
Using Backup Exec we will need to install the OS i on the NEW Hard Drive after the FULL backup of the OLD drive is successful.

Assuming that the Windows 2000 server is a member server and not a domain controller with SINGLE partition/Volume that is the C-Drive. Backup Exec is not installed on this server.

Before performing the FULL backup, check the Service Pack and the Windows HotFix Level on the Server and note it down.

1  : Perform a FULL backup of the C-Drive, the System State and the Shadow Copy Component on TAPE
2  : Turn OFF the computer and remove the old hard drive and connect the NEW Drive
3  : Install Windows 2000 OS with the SAME name and patch it up.
4  : Connect it to the domain and configure Backup Exec Service Account as a member of Local Admin Group
5  : Install Remote agent for Backup Exec.
6  : Perform a restore of the C-Drive, System State and the Shadow Copy Component
       Select "Restore all information for files and directories" & "Restore over existing files" under "General Settings"

Let me know if you require any assistance...

lyon
Level 5
I'll give you an easy solution for this if your only requirement is to get your job done however.

Ignore the backup exec.
Put both drives in.
Create a mirror in windows.
Edit boot.ini to point at both. 
Restart on other disk.

Done.

Lyon