cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup CIFS Shares in VNXe 3150

habibalby
Level 5

Hello,

I have Backup Exec 2012 installed on a physical server and I recently configured a CIFS shares in VNXe 3150 SAN Storage...

In VNX --> Settings --> Shared Folder Server Settings I have added shared folder Server;

Share Name = VeeamNFS

Server IP = 10.90.8.200

Domain/Workgroup = CIFS

Advanced Storage Access = Enabled for all hosts ( and I set a username and password)

NDMP = Enabled (and I set a password as the default username is ndmp)

Enable NIS = Checked/Enabled

Domain = CIFS

IP Addresses =

1. pNIC-1 of the Backup Server 10.90.8.29

2. pNIC-2 of the Backup Server 10.90.8.100

-----------------------------------------------------------------

VNXe --> Storage --> Shared Folders = VeeamCIFS

Name = CIFS

Protocol = CIFS

Local Path = /

Export Path = \\10.90.8.200\CIFS

---------------------------------------------------------------------

With the above configuration, I'm able to access this shares from the Backup Server, I'm also able to add the CIFS Shares into Veeam Console and write Veeam Backup using the created username and password in the VNXe Storage.

I want to backup the CIFS destination using BackupExec 2012;

I have added the File Server 10.90.8.200 but I'm not able to browse the \\10.80.8.200\CIFS directory where the Backup Contents available.

But I'm abale to see only /VeeamCIFS and no contents on it.

I have tried adding the server using NDMP credentails and the ASA credentials, but no luck.

Any idea, help I would highly appreciated.

Regards,

22 REPLIES 22

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, but this will not work since you have NDMP enabled. Either you disable it and use the CIFS method or if you enable it, then use the NDMP option.

habibalby
Level 5

Hi VJ,

I think this complicates the thing I want to acheive.. What I'm intended to do is to backup the Veeam Backup Files which are being dumped in CIFS Shares using Backup Exec.. Why I want to use Backup Exec Tape functionality than Veeam, becuase I think the way how Backup Exec is organizing tapes is more matured than Veeam.

The final alterna option is to use Veeam Tape Functionality to backup those files from CIFS or directly from vSphere to Tape instead of staging VMs Images on Disk and from Disk to Tape...

VNXe suckes has another limitation (aka iSCSI protocol) were I'm limited to make only 1.999 TB LUNs which is not sufficient for my needs at all, thats the reason I want to introduce CIFS of NFS.. Due to the fact that NFS also requires another Linux VM in order for me to link NFS with it and use it as a Repository Server than my Current Windows Physical Box which is acting as Backup Exec Server / Veeam Server / and Repository Server using iSCSI LUNs. 

Let me see how I can come around this issue and diffiently I will post the result of my findings so someone eles with same requirements can benefit off course.

Highly appreciate your help VJ and the reset of community team how really shows their faith and help towards this issue/requirements.

Regards,

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...be aware you can effetively concatonate multiple 2TB LUNs into a much larger iSCSI LUN on your media server...done that on an Iomega NAS.

Thanks!