cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup CIFS Shares in VNXe 3150

habibalby
Level 5

Hello,

I have Backup Exec 2012 installed on a physical server and I recently configured a CIFS shares in VNXe 3150 SAN Storage...

In VNX --> Settings --> Shared Folder Server Settings I have added shared folder Server;

Share Name = VeeamNFS

Server IP = 10.90.8.200

Domain/Workgroup = CIFS

Advanced Storage Access = Enabled for all hosts ( and I set a username and password)

NDMP = Enabled (and I set a password as the default username is ndmp)

Enable NIS = Checked/Enabled

Domain = CIFS

IP Addresses =

1. pNIC-1 of the Backup Server 10.90.8.29

2. pNIC-2 of the Backup Server 10.90.8.100

-----------------------------------------------------------------

VNXe --> Storage --> Shared Folders = VeeamCIFS

Name = CIFS

Protocol = CIFS

Local Path = /

Export Path = \\10.90.8.200\CIFS

---------------------------------------------------------------------

With the above configuration, I'm able to access this shares from the Backup Server, I'm also able to add the CIFS Shares into Veeam Console and write Veeam Backup using the created username and password in the VNXe Storage.

I want to backup the CIFS destination using BackupExec 2012;

I have added the File Server 10.90.8.200 but I'm not able to browse the \\10.80.8.200\CIFS directory where the Backup Contents available.

But I'm abale to see only /VeeamCIFS and no contents on it.

I have tried adding the server using NDMP credentails and the ASA credentials, but no luck.

Any idea, help I would highly appreciated.

Regards,

22 REPLIES 22

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you might not want to use NDMP...read the TN below:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH60554.html

Thanks!

habibalby
Level 5

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your reply, but I don't think this article is applicable to me as I'm backing up CIFS without NDMP.. Any other idea / alternative method of accomplishing this requirements?

Regards,

CraigV

...but you've enabled NDMP as per your post above. Disable it and see if this fixes things.

THanks!

habibalby
Level 5

Hi Craig,

Yes I did dsaisabled, but no luck...

CraigV

...and you have 1 Remote Agent for Windows Servers license installed on the media server?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In addition to the above suggestions i.e. disabling NDMP and installing one RAWS license, do ensure BE 2012 is fully patched and if possible, provide full access to the Backup Exec System Logon Account to the CIFS share.

Do ensure "Enable selection of user shares" is enabled from BE button - Configuration & Settings - BE Settings - Network & Security.

Lastly, you may have to edit the services file on the BE media server and change the default NDMP port to something else such as 11000 for the CIFS level backup to work.

habibalby
Level 5

Hi,

• Windows Remote Agent is already added on the same Backup Server
  • Backup Exec Server is resolving to our Internal Domain Name where it sets on different subnet other than the VNXe SAN STorage / iSCSI Network. Where Backup Server has two Adapters sets beside the iSCSI Network and VNXe SAN Storage. I'm not sure how I can allow the Backup Exec System Logon Account to access the CIFS Shares. Where in the CIFS/VNXe Settings I do created an account with a password and when I access it from the Backup Exec Server \\10.90.8.200\CIFS it prompt me for the username and I provide CIFS\Administrator and the password I set in the VNXe and shares is opened.
  • Enable Selection of users Shares is already enabled.
  • With regards to the NDMP port, I'm afraid to take this steps as it will require to change all the ports on all the servers that already added to the Backup Exec Server.

I have tried to use MKLINK command and I successfully managed to mape the CIFS Shares into the D:\Backups, but the problem is when I tried to make a backup job and select the CIFS Shortcut, it keep pompting me for the logon account, in fact I have used the same logon account that I access the CIFS shares but I don't how how this methods works :)

C:\>mklink /d D:\Backups\CIFS \\10.90.8.200\CIFS
symbolic link created for D:\Backups\CIFS <<===>> \\10.90.8.200\CIFS

Regards, 

VJware
Level 6

With regards to the NDMP port, I'm afraid to take this steps as it will require to change all the ports on all the servers that already added to the Backup Exec Server.

If Publishing is working correctly, then there is no need to change the ports on the other servers.

Secondly, Mapped shares will not work as BE works in a batch session mode.

Lastly, try adding the BE credentials (i.e. same username and password) to the VNXe device's local admin group and provide this user full access to the shares.

CraigV

...have you added the VNXe3150's admin password into the BE media server's security as \\IP_Address\UserAccount + password?

Thanks!

habibalby
Level 5

After adding the CIFS into the Backup Exec as file server, and use the ndmp username/password I'm still unable to back it up.

CIFS Backup Error.jpgCIFS Location.jpg

VJware
Level 6

Per the selection screenshot and the error message, it doesn't seem to be using CIFS but using NDMP instead.

habibalby
Level 5

So, any additional tips / config recommendation?

VJware
Level 6

First, you really have to confirm NDMP is indeed disabled.

Secondly, did you try changing the port number of the BE media server as requested earlier ?

habibalby
Level 5

Hi VJ,

I have disabled the NDMP and I'm unable to add the server as a File Server into Backup Exec. I have re-enabled it again in order to add the server.

No, I haven't change the port.

Thanks,

VJware
Level 6

If you have enabled NDMP, then this is expected error.

How exactly are you adding the filer as a File Server ?

Are you adding it via IP address or IP address\share ? Hope you are using the former ?

No, I haven't change the port.

Any specific reason for not changing the port ?

Alternative to the above would be using the NDMP option to instead backup the filer in the NDMP method and not CIFS.

habibalby
Level 5

Below the VNXe configuration, I will start over again;

VNXe Host Access.jpgVNXe Shared Folder Server Settings.jpg

habibalby
Level 5

Hi VJ,

What do you mean by adding the server as former IP\Shares?

Are you adding it via IP address or IP address\share ? Hope you are using the former ?

VJware
Level 6

I meant - Add the File Server using IP address. Do NOT add the File Server using IP address\share format.

habibalby
Level 5

Yes, this is what I do.. I don't add the CIFS Shares as File Server, I add only the IP Address specified as a CIFS Server (10.90.8.200)