Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Data Issue

usersky
Level 4

Hi,

My base is w2k8 R2 Std and BE is 2010.

All my backup data is being saved at the NAS.

I want to know two thing:

1. How to perform incremental backup for a particular day on which the backup has failed?

2. How to add encryption to the backup data on the backup to disk folder?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No, it will not ask you for the Key. It will ask you for the pass phrase.

Encrypted backup sets are identified in the restore selection list by an icon with a lock on it. When you select encrypted data to restore, Backup Exec automatically validates the encryption key for the data. If the encryption key that was used to back up the data is still in the Backup Exec database, then Backup Exec selects that encryption key automatically.

However, if the encryption key cannot be located, Backup Exec prompts you to provide the pass phrase for the encryption key that was used to back up the data. If you enter the correct pass phrase, Backup Exec recreates the key.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Create a backup job. Select the data you want to backup. On properties pane, under settings, click Network and Security. Provide Encryption type and Encryption key details. Either you can use an existing key or you can create a new key by clicking on the arrow--> New Encryption Key. After that run the backup job s normal.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

To perform an incremental backup you can just execute the backup again. An incremental backup will backup all files since the last full or incremental backup.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

For 128-bit AES encryption, the pass phrase must be at least eight characters. For 256-bit AES encryption, the pass phrase must be at least 16 characters. Symantec recommends that you use more than the minimum number of characters. 256-bit AES encryption will provide a better level of security as it is using a long key.

usersky
Level 4

So I manual start the failed backup again, or just leave there, as my daily incremental backup will auto manage itself is it?

usersky
Level 4

So should I choose hardware or software? What are the difference? And when I restore the backup data, it will prompt me to enter the key right?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Whatever you like, it is no problem to start the failed backup again, or wait untill the backup starts again at the daily scheduled time.

If your backup fail frequently, I suggest to solve the issue why it is failing, as it should not fail in the first place.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Software Encryption: Backup Exec can encrypt data at a computer that uses the Remote Agent, and then transfer the encrypted data to the media server. Backup Exec then writes the encrypted data on a set-by-set basis to tape or to a backup-to-disk folder.

Hardware Encryption: Backup Exec supports hardware encryption for storage devices that use the T10 encryption standard. When you use hardware encryption, the data is transmitted from the host computer to the target device and then encrypted on the device.

You can find a list of compatible devices at the following URL:

http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/v-269-2

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No, it will not ask you for the Key. It will ask you for the pass phrase.

Encrypted backup sets are identified in the restore selection list by an icon with a lock on it. When you select encrypted data to restore, Backup Exec automatically validates the encryption key for the data. If the encryption key that was used to back up the data is still in the Backup Exec database, then Backup Exec selects that encryption key automatically.

However, if the encryption key cannot be located, Backup Exec prompts you to provide the pass phrase for the encryption key that was used to back up the data. If you enter the correct pass phrase, Backup Exec recreates the key.