Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Data Rates with Hyper-V Agent on Backup2Disk

Tim_Frodermann
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello everybody,

I have a question about what data rates you see when backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines via the Hyper-V Host (Hyper-V Agent).

My backups run very good, but I am a bit suspicious. I have data rates at about 16.000 MB/m (as shown in the Backup Exec Console) on Backup2Disk. This is on a RAID-5, four disks SATA 7.2k. Block Size 512kb. Backup Exec 15 used.

I have restored machines from the backup, so i am confident it works. Are these normal data rates?

Thanks in advance.

Bye,

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
You can expect around 75-100 IOPS on a 7.2K HDD and in R5 you're only using 3, so the disk throughput isn't that great. In this case your speed is probably to be expected. Faster HDDs, or more of the same will give better throughput. THat said, check and make sure any AV installed isn't perhaps scanning the B2D folder, and if so, exclude it and see if this helps the speed. Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
You can expect around 75-100 IOPS on a 7.2K HDD and in R5 you're only using 3, so the disk throughput isn't that great. In this case your speed is probably to be expected. Faster HDDs, or more of the same will give better throughput. THat said, check and make sure any AV installed isn't perhaps scanning the B2D folder, and if so, exclude it and see if this helps the speed. Thanks!