cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Direct From SAN Best Practice

sadegh
Level 2

Hi Guys

I want a Backup VM and Store on the backup Server  and my backup server get dayta Directly From SAN but i don't know how  Connected Backup Server and SAN Storage together.

SAN: EMC vnx 5200

2 DL380 G7 Server with 1 2port HBA per Server

for Example if i want my Backup Software get Backup Directly From SAN Storage how connect ? if backup Server Connect Directly to SAN how know LUN and i must mapp VM lun to backup Software???

Help me/

i i want backup data to Tape How do i do???

i n TAPE  one FC port Connected to SAN and one Port Connected to Backup Server???

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

This is partly a BE question...and partly a configuration of hardware question.

1. Connect the media server to the SAN and zone the media server to see the tape library. Rescan for new hardware within Windows itself. No need to direct-connect the tape library to the media server.

2. Follow the TN below in order to set up SAN Transport Mode if using VMware...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH155831

The Admin Guide has more information around setting this up.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If using Hyper-V to do a SAN backup you have to make the Hyper-V host into a Media server and connect the tape library to this host.

The OP does not specifiy Hyper-V or VMware which is kind of critical to the answer as VMware has a SAN Transport (mentioned by CraigV above) but Hyper-V does not.

Note: Neither Hyper-V or Vmware are supported by the OffHost capability  that is part of ESO licensing against ADBO functionality

WARNING: If backing up VMs direct to tape using the virtuial agant capability, be aware that for GRT restores from tape to work you need disk space (and they take a long time) as they have to stage the restore. We usually recommend GRT VM backups are done to disk (to give the fast restore of individual files and objects or short term DR) and duplicated to tape, for a slower restore which should be  intended for longer term retention and usually used for DR of a complete VM

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

This is partly a BE question...and partly a configuration of hardware question.

1. Connect the media server to the SAN and zone the media server to see the tape library. Rescan for new hardware within Windows itself. No need to direct-connect the tape library to the media server.

2. Follow the TN below in order to set up SAN Transport Mode if using VMware...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH155831

The Admin Guide has more information around setting this up.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If using Hyper-V to do a SAN backup you have to make the Hyper-V host into a Media server and connect the tape library to this host.

The OP does not specifiy Hyper-V or VMware which is kind of critical to the answer as VMware has a SAN Transport (mentioned by CraigV above) but Hyper-V does not.

Note: Neither Hyper-V or Vmware are supported by the OffHost capability  that is part of ESO licensing against ADBO functionality

WARNING: If backing up VMs direct to tape using the virtuial agant capability, be aware that for GRT restores from tape to work you need disk space (and they take a long time) as they have to stage the restore. We usually recommend GRT VM backups are done to disk (to give the fast restore of individual files and objects or short term DR) and duplicated to tape, for a slower restore which should be  intended for longer term retention and usually used for DR of a complete VM