cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Duplicate Task Fail - Fails Entire Job

Christopher_Tow
Level 3

Hi, I have a backup job that does a full backup to a local disk and then a duplicate to an external drive via USB. 

I am having an issue that when the USB drive can't be recognised by Backup Exec or it finds some issue with it, that it wont just perform the backup. If it fails to find the disk to duplicate it just fails the entire job.

Is there any way of specifying that the backup job takes priority and to still do it if there is a problem with duplication? This seems like quite a simple thing to be able to do but I cant find an option for it anywhere.

Thanks

Chris

12 REPLIES 12

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  There is no such option.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

These jobs should be seen as individual jobs... If the backup job failed then you would likely see  failure on the duplicate job but the failure of a duplicate job should not fail the backup job. 

Christopher_Tow
Level 3

It would be nice if this was the case, but from what I can see it isn't. When there is any issue with the disk drive it just sits there for ever and then fails with this error :

Job ended: Thursday, July 04, 2013 at 9:00:06 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000810c - Physical Volume Library Drive not available.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33036

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Quick question... Was the USB drive location selected when you created the backup job ? Are you backing up the USB location?

Christopher_Tow
Level 3

The back up drive is specified in the duplication job. It is in a storage pool all on its own. It is just duplicating the data that was copied to the local drive.

Christopher_Tow
Level 3

I also do an incremental backup on this job, and I have noticed that sometimes if BE fails to recognise the drive then the incremental job will fail too even though the duplicate job isnt going to run. The duplicate job is specified only for the full backup.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Is this a backup job of the local machine or a remote box?

Christopher_Tow
Level 3

all remote servers. Its doing 4 of them : 2x sql, 1x exchange, 1x filessystem

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Do you have any other jobs that write to local disk and then duplicate to USB... if so do they exhibit the same behaviours? Have you tried recreating the Job? 

Christopher_Tow
Level 3

Yes and Yes. Same issue occurs. I dont mind if it fails to backup to the disk, I just dont want the entire job to fail if it can't.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Sorry Chris.. Got me scratching my  head.... would you mind DMing me your contact info... maybe we can do a webex so i can get a better idea as to what it is that is going on

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The back up drive is specified in the duplication job. It is in a storage pool all on its own.

How many drives do you have in the storage pool?  How many are online at any one time?

When you say BE does not recognise the disk, what is the symptom?  The disk is off-line?