Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup EXEC 12.5 media managment

ELISym
Level 2
Does anyone know how i can run an automatic report the will tell me 

how much data was backed up last night
 how much space will be free tonight including media that will be available to overwrite

and generate a report  without having to manually compare the figures so i can see if according to my backups lastnight i have enough media to perform them tonight can do this on a job by job basis using a test  but i need to  do it for all jobs

thanks
5 REPLIES 5

chicojrman
Level 6
You'll have to create Custom reports for this.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

if you are using hardware compression, there is no way to get such a report, since there is no way for Backup Exec to know the compression ratios

aside from that, I don't think even a custom report will do what you want.  You'd still have to manually compare expected backup size with estimated space available

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
When using compression, the amount of data written, the amount of tape used and the compression ratio are all known (with modern tape drives).  But there is no real way to predict how much data you can fit on what is left of a tape.  A human would be smart enough to ASSUME that IF I am running the same backup every night, I will probably get the same compression ratio.  But Backup Exec has no way to know what you plan to do.  Some datasets compress highly and would fit easily.  Some datasets barely compress at all and would never fit.

ELISym
Level 2

Thanks for all the feedback and help guys!!!

MitchR
Level 6
I've long wished for BE to be smart enough to read file sizes for past runs of a given job, and that data as esimate for the current run's ETA.

Anyway, everything above is true for tape backups.  Watch out for Backup to Disk jobs with compression - there's no compression ratio shown in the job log or media list.  To get an estimate for that, you'll have to backup using a new or freshly overwritten B2D file, and compate that with the completed job size.