cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup EXEC 12 - Restore no catalogue

StevenHill
Level 4

Hi Have a Backup Exec 12 server that I need to perform some restores on. The tapes are not cataloged. Does anyone know a way to see what servers were backed up on each tape without having to do a complete catalogue?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If the tapes were not created on this media server, and you cannot import the catalogs from the original server, then INVENTORY followed by CATALOG is the only way

scott_fwmedia
Level 2

As Ken Putnam stated, inventory + catalog is the only way unless you can bring in the catalogs from the original server.

I've run into situations where I've had a media server die and subsequent restores from media that were backed up by that media server were a pain because I didn't have the catalogs anymore.  I also had an upgrade from 12.0 to 12.5 not fully complete and I lost all of the catalogs and job history.

Ever since, I've taken to running the "Media Required for Recovery" report every week or so and saving that off to a CIFS share that is backed up.

Then if the media server dies or I otherwise lose the catalogs and I need to do a restore from media backed up by that server previously, I can consult the saved reports and find out what tapes I need.  I still need to do an inventory + catalog, but at least it's only on a few tapes rather than a whole set of them.

This has already saved me from having to catalog an entire set of tapes a few times.

Lively
Level 5

Similar to the above post, if you know the media server that backed up the documents, and have a back of it, you can restore the catalogs folder from that backup and put it on the current media server.